My first Hearse for sale again, 1967 Crown Royale

A lot of people buy a house with the intention of adding on rooms, building a garage, changing the landscape, adding a pool, all kinds of stuff. Some people want the look of a hearse on the outside, but enough seating on the inside to accommodate friends and family. It's still one more hearse out there on the road, capturing the imagination of some future professional car hobbiest. It's still one more hearse not sitting behind a house, under a tree, rusting into oblivion. Still one more not getting crushed, recycled into Honda Civics. I know the PCS is mostly about preservation, but I'd rather see one on the road as a "El Camino" chop, as a station wagon, or as a 4x4 offroad monster than rusting to pieces. Just my two cents on the issue.

A lot of people buy a house with the intention of adding on rooms, building a garage, changing the landscape, adding a pool, all kinds of stuff. Some people want the look of a hearse on the outside, but enough seating on the inside to accommodate friends and family. It's still one more hearse out there on the road, capturing the imagination of some future professional car hobbiest. It's still one more hearse not sitting behind a house, under a tree, rusting into oblivion. Still one more not getting crushed, recycled into Honda Civics. I know the PCS is mostly about preservation, but I'd rather see one on the road as a "El Camino" chop, as a station wagon, or as a 4x4 offroad monster than rusting to pieces. Just my two cents on the issue.

Mr. Hord - I don't agree. The PCS is - as I see it - first and foremost a historical society. It is about the preservation of a unique part of our history - primarily funeral service and emergency medical services - that just so happens to have an automotive basis. Most of the folks here seem to have some background in those fields, and many have worked in these same vehicles. The PCS was the first professional car club I found when I purchased my 1970 Cotington 48 ambulance, but I have learned there are groups with alternative values.

Surely - many folks have alternative reasons to mine for owning ambulances/hearses/etc. Some want to drive a different car on the road from everyone else, some obviously like the "shock value" associated with hearses in particular. Others may value the history of their vehicle as much as I value mine - but wish they could carry more folks than it could when stock. When WWII ended, B-17 bombers were so plentiful and value-less they were used for target practice, just like many of our cars were used for everything from tow vehicles to demolition derby. At the end of the day though - today there aren't many aircraft museums ripping out the bomb racks out of B-17's to put in seats for plane rides around town.

It's a tough call, but I almost think I'd personally rather see my 1963 Pinner-Chrysler ambulance turned into razor blades than paraded about town as a pseudo-Ecto 1. This is where I see it as hard to be the PCS as opposed to other groups - there's a value judgment ascribed to my opinion and those who believe differently might not appreciate it. Like someone posted about the Green River ambulance rusting away due to a stubborn small town - it isn't ours to complain about. But that doesn't mean we have to approve of it. I don't believe that it's a binary choice of "monster truck" or rusting into the ground. Perhaps the young mother who posted recently about her new hearse can indeed be guided how to add seats for her children without tearing apart the original interior? I know 1980s hearses aren't the top of the want list today, but neither was the 1959 M-M either 30 years ago as I understand it.

Just to make sure it's out there: I'm probably one of the youngest people posting on this forum. I very much appreciate all of the guidance and wisdom handed out freely by the members of the society. I'm glad it is the way it is.

Agree

Mr. Hord - I don't agree. The PCS is - as I see it - first and foremost a historical society. It is about the preservation of a unique part of our history - primarily funeral service and emergency medical services - that just so happens to have an automotive basis. Most of the folks here seem to have some background in those fields, and many have worked in these same vehicles. The PCS was the first professional car club I found when I purchased my 1970 Cotington 48 ambulance, but I have learned there are groups with alternative values.

Surely - many folks have alternative reasons to mine for owning ambulances/hearses/etc. Some want to drive a different car on the road from everyone else, some obviously like the "shock value" associated with hearses in particular. Others may value the history of their vehicle as much as I value mine - but wish they could carry more folks than it could when stock. When WWII ended, B-17 bombers were so plentiful and value-less they were used for target practice, just like many of our cars were used for everything from tow vehicles to demolition derby. At the end of the day though - today there aren't many aircraft museums ripping out the bomb racks out of B-17's to put in seats for plane rides around town.

It's a tough call, but I almost think I'd personally rather see my 1963 Pinner-Chrysler ambulance turned into razor blades than paraded about town as a pseudo-Ecto 1. This is where I see it as hard to be the PCS as opposed to other groups - there's a value judgment ascribed to my opinion and those who believe differently might not appreciate it. Like someone posted about the Green River ambulance rusting away due to a stubborn small town - it isn't ours to complain about. But that doesn't mean we have to approve of it. I don't believe that it's a binary choice of "monster truck" or rusting into the ground. Perhaps the young mother who posted recently about her new hearse can indeed be guided how to add seats for her children without tearing apart the original interior? I know 1980s hearses aren't the top of the want list today, but neither was the 1959 M-M either 30 years ago as I understand it.

Just to make sure it's out there: I'm probably one of the youngest people posting on this forum. I very much appreciate all of the guidance and wisdom handed out freely by the members of the society. I'm glad it is the way it is.

Nicholas,
Just wanted to say that your post was very well spoken, and I totally agree with you !:applause:

will stated except " has always been" not mosley. yes we tolerate anyone doing anything with their car they want or can afford. I have seen some beautiful conversion made. they are no longer Hearses going down the road the same as a 30 ford with a full blown 460, no fenders and red wheels with baby moons is no longer a model A ford. it takes a little bit for that to sink in.
the difference in rebuilt and restored. as I have said I have seen a number of rebuilt Hearses, this one appears to be a hack job and now we are tired of it and it a parts car to me. just because it's going down the road doesn't mean it's preserved, just that it's still running.

I would rather see it sitting under a tree neglected waiting on preservation than butchered into an ecto something or other. BUT that is just MY opinion.:rolleyes:

Back