Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:37 PM
PCS Elected Director

Thanked 13,638 Times in 5,750 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

so simple a test. my sister in law is here because her co workers knew this.
Paul Steinberg  (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 09:46 PM
PCS Life Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brady,

It was nice seeing you the other day. May you continue your recovery.

Paul,

Thanks for the post. I had a stroke in 2013 as I was driving to the NFDA convention in Austin, Texas. I was planning to find a hotel and get some rest and continue to Austin the next morning. I checked in the hotel and everything was fine. I went out to the parking lot to move my car. I parked it, was able to open the door and got out. As I closed the door I fell to the pavement. I couldn't stand nor crawl. as I lost all strength on my left side. Some patrons from the lobby came out and helped me into the lobby and called EMS. When they arrived, after checking me out they told me I had a stroke and if I didn't get to a hospital I would be dead the next morning. The hotel was in Hurricane Mills, Tennessee. I was airlifted to St. Thomas Heart and Stroke center in Nashville. I spent 2 1/2 weeks there in therapy. After Nashville I went to a rehab center near my home for a month and a half. I was lucky that the EMS decided to airlift me to Nashville. As you are aware of there is a window of opportunity to start treatment. The doctors told me that the stroke was caused by A-Fib. As I was driving, I never had any indications that something was wrong. I was lucky that it didn't happen while I was driving. The results would not have been good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Cenowa For This Useful Post:
Paul Steinberg  (08-14-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 10:05 PM

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default How far we've come

My dad died of a stroke brought on by under-treated hypertension (he hated doctors). He collapsed alone on the kitchen floor and, by the time he was found and medical aid arrived, it was too late and he passed away in the hospital hooked up to IVs, with kidney failure making the "heroic" treatments just an exercise in how bloated and fluid-filled you can make a man endure before he dies. Maybe he had good reason to hate doctors after all.

I've personally never had a stroke, but I did get migraines that mimicked a CVA,with partial blindness, inability to speak coherently, odd aural manifestations like other voices seeming to come from inside a tunnel and feeling tingling in my fingertips and loss of grips. If I was in public when it happened, people would look at me like I was crazy and steer clear of me even though I was obviously in neurological distress.

In my day as an ambulance EMT, I was continually shocked how ER MDs during the 1970s discounted the severity of strokes. I would be chided for rolling code-3 with a patient who was, "only having a stroke." For all the trouble we spent getting the patient to definitive care quickly, they were usually pushed back as low priority cases in the far corner of the ER.

It's far better today, with PSAs and posts such as Paul's showing that physical damage from strokes can be greatly mitigated when rapid treatment and/or transportation can mean the difference between living a full life or dying with complications of a CVA in a convalescent hospital, after the devastation of the family's finances.

It's good to take time and think about real life implications that we all feel from time-to-time when we're focused on the details of old ambulances and devote a little time thinking about those who unfortunately had to ride in these rigs as a matter of life and death.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Victor Baca For This Useful Post:
John ED Renstrom (08-17-2017), Paul Steinberg  (08-18-2017)