Lincoln Offers MKT Town Car To Skeptical Limo Buyers

Robert Shepard

Website Administrator / Past President - Golden St
Super Site Supporter
Lincoln offers MKT Town Car to skeptical limo buyers
Laurén Abdel-Razzaq
Automotive News | February 18, 2011 - 3:48 pm EST

DETROIT -- Lincoln plans to build two chauffeur-dedicated MKT Town Car versions next year to replace the Town Car, its outgoing workhorse for livery fleets, which include vehicles such as standard-size executive cars and stretch limos.

But questions remain as to whether the fleet market will embrace the replacement or turn to rival brands’ vehicles for the chauffeur segment.

On Feb. 14, Ford Motor Co.’s luxury brand revealed a prototype of the MKT Town Car at the 2011 International Limousine, Charter and Tour Show in Las Vegas. Ford previously said it would rely on the MKT platform, but had not given a name for the vehicle.

By modifying its MKT crossover, Lincoln will try to fill the gap left when the Town Car is discontinued in September.

The livery version uses a standard MKT chassis and is available in front- and all-wheel drive. The limousine version has a heavy-duty MKT chassis with standard awd and a stretched-wheelbase conversion that can add up to 10 feet in length.

Both versions will include Sync technology, rear and blind-spot cameras and reconfigured interiors to allow for more passenger room, Lincoln said.

Lukewarm reception

The immediate response from the livery industry was lukewarm.

George Jacobs, CEO of Windy City Limousines, said the Lincoln MKT misses the mark.

The immediate response from the livery industry was lukewarm.

I think that is an understatement.

Chrysler has an opportunity here to offer a livery and coachbuilder package for the 300.

We are at a dark precipice in the Professional car world again. Just as in 1979 when the final Ambulance was replaced by a cube van, now we are faced with SUVs and Crossovers replacing passenger car based funeral coaches and limousines.

I work at an airport and already see way too many Cadillac Escalade ESVs being used as "black car" limousines.

I think Henry Leland - who founded both Cadillac and Lincoln - and Edsel Ford - who kept Lincoln alive during the Depression and then inspired Bob Gregorie's beautiful Continentals - would both be aghast at most of the recent vehicles upon which the two respected names have been placed. A GMC truck is not a Cadillac, and a Ford truck or "crossover" ( they are called that because they look as tho they were hit by a Mack or a KW whilst crossing over from one side of the road to the other ) is not a Lincoln. What a shame.

Ive been a Lincoln owner since 1989, at times owning 4 at once. There isnt anything in the current Lincoln line that I would consider owning. If I were to buy a new car right now, it would be either a Dodge Charger or a Chrysler 300

I was at the LCT show this week and agree on the "lukewarm" reception. The MKT is a nice vehicle but not a big, simple rear drive workhorse like the town car.

Its fine as a VIP party limo but we are probably going to order a few 2011 Town Cars and use them sparingly as long as we can and are even considering adding a few of then new Toyota Avalon special livery sedans to see how our customers like them. At $28,000 versus $52,000 for the MKT Town Car edition and $46,000 for a DTS, it warrants serious thought.

We are also anxious to see what, if any livery offerings Cadillac has with the new XTS platform to be introduced shortly as well.

Everyone that knows me knows that I am an oddball, so it is no supprise that I like the hearse, but the limo does nothing for me at all, I think its hidious!

Back