1959 Cadillac pro car windshield

Bill Carlin

PCS Life Member
Can someone send me in the right direction to locate a new windshield that will fit my 1959 S&S hearse?

I have heard that some new glass is to large for the actual cars.... any help would be great.

New glass is being made, but its not a correct fit. The A pillar trim hides the gap, and the gao needs to be filled with the black goo the windshield shops use. The new glass is actually a inch & a half too wide. I talked to the manufacturer, and the basically dont care, as folks are still buying it.

If it were an inch and a half too wide, I doubt that it would fit in the opening. It is too wide, then where is this "gap" that needs to be filled with sealer?

New glass is being made, but its not a correct fit. The A pillar trim hides the gap, and the gao needs to be filled with the black goo the windshield shops use. The new glass is actually a inch & a half too wide. I talked to the manufacturer, and the basically dont care, as folks are still buying it.

sounds to me like they did not get the glass set in the top corners right. they are not a glass you want to be doing if you haven't done one before.

Give your glass company a try with the info. If its comming from Auto City Classics, its not going to be a perfect fit. From what I've researched, they are the sourse.

Auto Glass Peru is the manufacturer... there logo is AGP, and they manufacture glass using the old LOF molds. I have one in my Corvair, and it fit perfectly. Most times that people think it is the glass that is wrong, but I believe that it is the person putting it in.

Dont want to get into a who's right is right contest, but the first glass broke during install. Pulled the glass out, and did a comparisonn measurement with the new vs. old glass. The new glass was 1 1/2 inch wider than the original piece. Contacted the company, and they said themselves that there will be a gap, and how to proceed with the gap. They sent another piece of glass, free of charge.

I replaced my 64 cadillac windshield, it was a different manufacturer than the one you are referring I believe. Mine fit great, no problems. 59-65 are the same on limo, 59-64 on hearses. The guy I talked with at the manufacturer is very knowledgeable. It cost $950 plus shipping of like $150. If you want, I'll get you the information.

glass is a fluid. it's kid of thick but it always flowing . so if the glass you got was a shelf sitter it may have stretched out, if it had been stored on it face.
that would explain the trouble with the first one and the difference in the measurements. the man on the other end of the phone feed you a good story and he replaced the glass that did not fit. all these replacement glass no matter who the distributor is are made in South America. we are currently waiting for the next run of 1958 series 62 windshield to be made to get one in this 1958 I have here. been told October.

I'm not there to look at yours, I have my thoughts from the first time you posted on it. but if it's in doesn't leak and your happy that all that is necessary.

I replaced my 64 cadillac windshield, it was a different manufacturer than the one you are referring I believe. Mine fit great, no problems. 59-65 are the same on limo, 59-64 on hearses. The guy I talked with at the manufacturer is very knowledgeable. It cost $950 plus shipping of like $150. If you want, I'll get you the information.

Please send the info

Bill

When looking for a recommended vendor of a item, check the recommended vendor section of this site first.

Here is the answer to your question found in that section:

Pilkington glass

http://www.pilkington.com/The+Americ...cs/default.htm
Click North America USA/Canada
Click Automotive replacement glass
Click automotive
Click classic glass

...or just call !!!
1-800-848-1351 ask for Al

Submitted by Ed...

I have used this co 4 times now.found them to be easy to work with and there product is good. we use a local glass shop here to put them in. as the stuff is getting to expensive and the new regulation make it were the local shops are hamstrung for windshields. we have put two in CB's one in a superior one in a MM and now the S&S. same glass but the different bodies have presented different problems. if anyone thinks these were made a like then put in a windshield in a few. but I will say the S&S has fit the best. the glass was almost to big for the hole though and we had to take the stops off the get it to fit. the top fit fine. the CB's were a little short in the center top and MM tight in the top corners. but all in all the glass from our fellow member Al Smith is good quality.

Hope this helps !

I will need one sometime too as I have a '62 with a repaired chip that needs to have a clean windshield someday.

I know there are 2 for sale on Ebay as well if you want to try there.
I think Danny Ryder knows the seller of them.

All the best !!! I hope this means your car is close to being done or at least worked on !

Cheers,
Darren

Back