How many Criterion's are left...

Original Photos

Whenver I purchase a professional car, I do a thorough search for photos and documentation of the car's history. The two 1974 Criterions I owned in the '90s were no exception and I was fortunate enough to obtain original photos of both. They weren't the greatest images, but I was - and still am - very grateful to have them.

74779 was the white over red car, which was delivered new to Stony Brook, New York Fire Department. In the mid 1980's, it was purchased by John Ringdahl of Fergus Falls, MN, who sold it to the Grundy Center, Iowa fire dept. I bought it from them in 1997.

74921 was the orange and white car, which was delivered new to Madison, Connecticut. This car went on to Capitol City Ambulance in Des Moines. That's where she got the identifying roof stripe. She then went through Breakaway, Inc. in Boise, Idaho and was sold to Garfield County Ambulance Service in Jordan, Montana. I purchased the car from them in 1994.

Both of these cars are already pictured in previous posts, so don't count them again...

Attachments

• Criterions 004.jpg
    Criterions 004.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 859
  • 921_a.jpg
    921_a.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 908
Here is the original photo of a B.C. '74 Criterion.

Quiz for Richard: Other than the fact there are so many of them, can you identify something significant about the fleet shot of Capital City Criterions? (Hint: You may have to look very closely and carefully at each rig.) Anybody else (except for the two Steves, who probably know the answer I'm looking for) feel free to jump in here with a guess...

It appears that the second one from the left has no side red flashers and only one beacon on the roof.

Got another one folks..... photos by Terry Lange

Richmond002.jpg

Richmond001.jpg

197420MM20criterion11.jpg

76_criterion_jones0001.jpg

The BC Criterion

Hi Doug, the BC Criterion with only 1 siren speaker (not sure what's up with that...maybe just waiting for a replacement) may be the one that Cor Zanbergen ended up with when he transferred from Vancouver to Vernon. I think that he displayed it at the O'Keefe Ranch in Vernon and was attempting to set up a mini EMS museum with all of his stuff. This also may be the one that I've heard about making it's way back to the Fraser valley in the last 10 years or so. Further to this the story I heard was the owner was going to restore it and had removed all of the lights, chrome, etc. to start the body work. Marriage broke down and the wife threw out all of the removed pieces. Apparemtly the car still exists but without any exterior pieces. I'll email Steve Williams in the Vancouver Dispatch Center to see if he knows more about it. Fraser Field may also know some of the details.

Got another one folks..... photos by Terry Lange

Richmond001.jpg

Wow, am I ever delighted to see the Richmond Ambulance picture. That was a HUGE deja-vu flashback moment for me.

That is the same vehicle as the B.C. Ambulance pic that was posted.

metro 110.jpg

When the government took over ambulance service in British Columbia in 1974, they bought out most of the private ambulance services, Richmond Ambulance being one of them. Richmond is a suburb of Vancouver, just 5 minutes away over a bridge. Vancouver International Airport is located in Richmond.

After the take-over, all ambulances were converted to B.C. Ambulance colors and given a white paint job with the copy-righted diagonal red stripes.

I'm REALLY pleased to have that pre-takeover picture. I know other long-time B.C. ambulance folks such as Bill Leverett will be glad to see it too. Thanks Richard and Terry!

Steve: Please refer to the thread "Miller-Meteor Criterion - Real History" to learn about the Jones car.

Maybe we have too many threads going here...?? I am also puzzled as to why the same photos of the same cars keep getting posted?

one other way to match up and the only way to be sure is to add the serial number of the car to there photos. when you ask about a car see if you can get the number of it. those of you that have one please add your number here. then when the pictures of your car come up in it's numerous poses we can add that number to those pictures and it will help a lot in keeping it straight. Tony put in the numbers for the two he owned. I have two here I have worked on Robert's 75 first then Chris's 74

Attachments

• 1975 MM criterion Robert S tag.jpg
    1975 MM criterion Robert S tag.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 444
  • 1974 MM criterion  Chris B tag.JPG
    1974 MM criterion Chris B tag.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 454
I am also puzzled as to why the same photos of the same cars keep getting posted?

I have been making double picture posts since I grab the picture and add it to my CRITERION photobucket account therefore having a picture of every Criterion from this post as well as others when it relates to a Criterion.

This post was started by me to feature only pictures of Criterions in an attempt to get a count of what was built with the pictures everyone has. At this point I can come up with over 70 just from the pictures everyone has provided. Counting 15 Criterion's in the huge picture Tony provided, then add another 59 Criterions and we're up to 74.

Please count and double check my numbers and can pretty well bet I've got some duplicates.

:weneedpics_smi:

http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad306/PCS_photos/Criterion Ambulances/

one other way to match up and the only way to be sure is to add the serial number of the car

That would be the only way to know for sure but we know that is an impossible task for many of the Criterions are no longer here and have gone onto that junkyard in the sky. And the pictures posted already will never give us an accuate count either but, sure is fun gathering this information.

Answer

Good job for analyzing the photo, everybody. The answer I was searching for: The protoype 1973 Criterion is in that long line as an in-service rig with Capitol City at the time. You have to look closely, but it can be identified.

Here are a couple of more "deceased" Criterions that I shot back in the late '70's - early '80's in the rear compound of Crain Garage (a M-M distributor) in Marietta, GA. This wrecking yard, consisting exclusively of old ambulances, hearses and limousines was a sight to see. I recall hearing that most photographers were unwelcome there.

Terry

Attachments

• Crain001.jpg
    Crain001.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 444
  • Crain002.jpg
    Crain002.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 427
I don't mean to be problematic here, but I don't see where the number 70 comes from; I don't count 70 DIFFERENT Criterions.

For example, the prototye '73 is pictured by itself, so that's one less in the long line of Capitol City cars that can be counted. Also, the destroyed '74 (right side view, missing doors and quarter panel) is likely one of the '74s in the Capitol City lineup as well.

This thread is prompting me to work on a special Criterion project. I hope to have it finished by the Mid-Winer meeting in Flint (or wherever it is held.)

Here are a couple of more "deceased" Criterions that I shot back in the late '70's - early '80's in the rear compound of Crain Garage (a M-M distributor) in Marietta, GA. This wrecking yard, consisting exclusively of old ambulances, hearses and limousines was a sight to see. I recall hearing that most photographers were unwelcome there.

Terry

Thanks Terry!

When I used to work for Milton Hill, a long time PCS member, he showed me a stack of old photos from there (although I think it was Houston Bros., not Crain, but both were in Marietta). Anyway, I remembered these and was going to see if he'd let me spend a day digging through his boxes looking for them. You just saved me a whole lot of work :)

If I ever do come across his photos though, I'll have to scan and share them. What they had there then was nothing special at the time. Today, they are all the cars we dream of having!

Back