'48 Flxible Combo In Peru, KS

Kurt Arends

PCS Elected Director 2021-2024
Spotted this one today. There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in these late '40s Flxibles on this site, but I thought that Keith could give us some history on it.

Attachments

• '48 Flxible Combo 1.jpg
    '48 Flxible Combo 1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 622
  • '48 Flxible Combo 2.jpg
    '48 Flxible Combo 2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 603
Any info on this? If it had a title depending on the price I may be interested. Another key thing is the torque tube and all its pieces still being there.

According to the Flxible production and delivery records, this is/was a Model B21-748 which means it is/was an end-loading Premier funeral coach. It was Flxible's body #16121 and was delivered to the Green Funeral Home in Pryor, Oklahoma on December 12, 1948. It was frame #14924238 and engine #51255517. The company sold, built and delivered a record 646 Buick-based professional cars in 1948 and of these 253 were straight funeral coaches like this one. The 1948 Flxible Premier funeral coach had a base list price of $4,998. So...there you go.

Ryan,
Are you looking for a project coach, or just parts or a parts car? I know of at least 4 of these in similar condition that are all available for sale.

Is this one compleat? Engine and running gear and the interior still in it? Not much sense in thinking about one is the small stuff under the hood is missing and nompatterns for the internet or hardware.

No. Not complete. The full ambulance in S/E Nebraska or the 2 in the Kansas City area(1 combo and 1 hearse) would be far better restoration prospects.

Depending on the cost initially I would love to restore one and make one more a driver. I love the 1946-48 Buicks but these Flxible cars are pretty much the ultimate ones to have for me. I honestly figured after that 48 in philly was sold I'd never get a shot at another one as rare as everyone told me they were. This and the regular Roadmaster Sedanette and four door sedans are what I'm looking for. The key thing is the engines and transmissions are not that big of a deal but what is special to these cars specifically due to wheelbase is the torque tube and chassis itself as I'm not sure if its shared with any of the factory limos as I'm not even sure they made anything above a series 70? 46-48 Id have to consult my book. What I really want is a pure hearse not a combo. Thanks for any info. outside of the body, interior, and chassis/torque tube these should have just the standard buick 40-50 series or 70 series mechanicals.

Of the 4 that I am aware of currently being for sale in my part of the world, 1 is an ambulance, 2 are combinations, and 1 is a straight hearse. I can get you photos if you are seriously interested. All are big projects with very solid bodies. All are priced very reasonable for their condition. PM me if seriously interested.

Post-War Flxibles For Sale

The four that I am aware of currently being for sale.

The first would be pictured at the beginning of this thread and is a combination coach.

The first photo below is a full ambulance which has had its tunnel lights removed. 100% complete otherwise on the inside right down to the cabinet and the cot bar. Missing engine.

The second photo below is a combination that was converted to an ambulance and is mostly complete. Some assembly required!

The third photo is a straight hearse with the roller configuration such that you would be able to roll the casket out the side doors(Poor Man's 3-Way). I have forgotten what Flxible called these, but I am sure someone will remind me! Some assembly required!

The last photo is another shot of the ambulance. These coaches are all major projects, but have amazingly solid, mostly rust-free, bodies. These things are incredibly awesome with the skirts on them!!

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1445465112565.jpg
    ResizedImage_1445465112565.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0446.jpg
    IMG_0446.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 219
  • ResizedImage_1445465139639.jpg
    ResizedImage_1445465139639.jpg