What are these?

John Burchfield

PCS Life Member
Tonight I changed the oil in the '75 M-M (adding a bottle of ZDDPlus). While doing some of the usual wiping off of the grime underneath, a few rocks and other things came off the top of one of the radiator or other supports at the bottom of the car. These were on the right hand side, little copper connectors, one with a small spring. The one on the right has a coiled spring-not as obvious in the photo as in person. Anyone know what they are? I thought they might be remnants of alternator brushes? The car supposedly had the alternator replaced-it did look new when I got it.

Attachments

• IMG_1532_4_1_1.JPG
    IMG_1532_4_1_1.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_1533_5_1_1.JPG
    IMG_1533_5_1_1.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 301
The one on the right is definitely an electrical male connector that appears to have been burned. Usually they have a plastic housing that protects the terminal. Being that the wire comes off the terminal at a right angle, I have no idea where they are from. Most terminal ends on the engine compartment have the wire coming off the rear of the terminal.

oops were did that go? you digging it out? not me!! you want to crawl around there and look for it go right on this car gives me the cheeps. is it working? good get it out of here.

something some one dropped got hung up under the radiator. a good catch place. I would say your right there brushes out of a motor. don't look like anything out of a alternator I have seen. bet it was a cheapo siren that melted down.

I'd say you've solved the little mystery Kevin, given the claim and appearance that the alternator has been replaced. Thanks!

Back