1974 S&S Ambulances Built

David Henry

PCS Member
Any idea how many 1974 Cadillac ambulances were built by S&S? What other interesting facts do you know about the 74 builds?

Thanks
Dave

1974 S&S Ambulances

Dave,

I had heard there were less than 20 but have no documentation to corroborate that. Here is a picture of a 1974 that was for sale near me in the mid-80's. Not sure who the original owner was.

Attachments

• 74S&SOxfordNJ.JPG
    74S&SOxfordNJ.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 403
Hess & Eisenhardt built approximately 293 S&S professional vehicles in 1974. Of these, the best estimate is that 19% may have been ambulances - which would equate to about 55 units of various types (both standard and high-headroom models). I hope that this is of some use.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But at this
point did not S&S contract with superior to construct there cars? As this point both Hess and Eisenhart were no longer with the company and they were going threw changes. I don't recall if it was just the Hearse and combo out sourced or all of them.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But at this
point did not S&S contract with superior to construct there cars? As this point both Hess and Eisenhart were no longer with the company and they were going threw changes. I don't recall if it was just the Hearse and combo out sourced or all of them.

Charles Eisenhardt Jr. and Willard Hess sold the company to George Strike in the autumn of 1973. Hess & Eisenhardt - as a corporate entity - continued under Strike building S&S funeral cars and ambulances. The last S&S ambulances were built in the H&E Rossmoyne facility in 1976. The company never sub-contracted the production of these vehicles to Superior - or anyone else for that matter. From 1977 through 1980, S&S built only funeral cars (Victorias and variations thereof) and six-door limousines. George Strike sold the funeral car business (not the custom car or limousine end) to Tom Earhart in1981. S&S funeral car production was then transferred to Lima and gradually became a badge-engineered version of a Superior. All that changed with the introduction of the 1993 RWD Superior and S&S funeral cars - which were quite different. But, we're off track here. The short answer to your question, Paul, is - no.

The short answer to your question, Paul, is - no.

Paul????? :confused: I believe you meant to say ED, since he was the one asking the question about S&S and Superior... :thumbsup:

my thought prepossess was off about 10 years. remember looking up that info when I got the 86 and discovering it was really attached to S&S only with a name.

Cool rigs. Found this own in my travels maybe 15 years ago. I think from Ohio originally. Rooftop looks like it had four beacons.

Attachments

• 74ambulance.jpg
    74ambulance.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 226
Very sad to see them deteriorate like that. It seems like the majority of them end up in the wrong hands.

Back