Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,356 Times in 6,061 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

the peddle going clear down on start up says leak in the booster. Buster Dewy did a nice job on Paul's 69 it came back looking new. one listed on rock auto now but the pictures is not the same as yours. with them mixing and matching the systems knowing what you have is necessary before ordering one.
one more advantage sending it in is they know.
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM
Website Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah im going to end up doing that. The reason I was looking for a replacement is because I had planned on bringing it to a friend who would help me with installation, and if I remove the booster then I wont be able to get it to him if the brakes are inoperable.

But after learning what I've learned this week about the master cylinder and booster, and after re-reading the shop manual again it doesnt actually sound that hard.

I will be honest, all this time I always thought the master cylinder was a big drum or cylinder under the car. All these years I never realized the master cylinder was the container where you fill the brake fluid.

With that knowledge it sounds alot simpler than I had initially imagined. Before I knew that I thought I needed to jack the car up to disconnect the master, but now i see all i need access to is the engine and the steering column
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,356 Times in 6,061 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

brake pedal the pivot is on the shaft one bold there, 4 to hold the booster to the fire wall two to hold the master cylinder to the booster. no need to remove any lines except the vacuum hose. get a coffee can or a plastic jar with a lid. put everything you take off in there and put the lid back on. take pictures while you remove for reference on how to go back . set the car were it's out of the way and block the wheels first. if your working on the ground a FEMA roof (blue tarp) under neath will catch what you drop and you can find it.
a month from now as you go back together you will be able to find everything and look to see any question you have. remove the rod from in front. before it leaves you. if the back of the master cylinder is wet. you will need to rebuild it also.
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,656 Times in 3,812 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

If the back of the master cylinder is wet, then you will need to purchase a new master cylinder. The commercial chassis master cylinder the lines come off toward the engine. The other cars, the lines come off facing the drivers fender. As for rebuilding the old master cylinder, it isn't difficult, however, finding a kit for it will be. Rock Auto lists a kit for the commercial chassis, however, after doing some checking, I find that it isn't the correct kit. I did a master cylinder rebuild a few years ago for a PCS member, and I searched for over a month until I was able to find the correct kit for his car. It also was a commercial chassis 1968. That kit also fits the Eldorado, and they don't show a kit for the Eldorado in the online catalog. It is a one year only part according to my parts book, but my book ends with the 1968 model year. Further research indicates that it is a one year only part. It uses a complex system of rubber cups, and that is what makes it unique. You might benefit by reviewing this thread...