mind numbing

Rick, a Cadillac collecting friend, called last night with mixed news as he was headed back home. From the beginning~

He had driven to Wichita Falls, TX (over 5 hours) on Tuesday with a truck and trailer to cherry pick parts from a long-time Cadillac hoarder/dealer, who was retiring. Hundreds of Cadillacs awaited and the trip was several months in the making. As is often the case, many time constraints prevented it taking place sooner. When he heard cars were being crushed - priorities changed quickly!

200 vintage (mainly) rust-free Cadillacs had been scrapped in the last week with a portable muncher brought to the property. The owner was simply tired of looking at them. Rick spent his first 1/2 day taking amazing pictures/video and game planning items before heading to a hotel. At this point he called me to relay that 2 coaches were there! Now, Rick isn't a coach guy but he knows Caddies *very* well.

The first, a '64, had some sill rust but was otherwise a complete, restorable unit.

The second, a '60, needed a windshield and had one fender removed. Rick said it literally looked like it was fresh from service (with the exception of those two items). Well cared for original black paint, brightwork was all outstanding (even landaus), no body damage, interior was in very good shape - even the table was there! Rick relayed that it must have been a top of the line model because he'd never seen so much chrome on a hearse.

Say wait a second...this is getting more interesting. After prodding deeper, Rick said it had a bid chrome molding over the roof and a big "V" molding on the back door. A '60 Superior Crown Landaulet sideloader??? Are you fuggin' kidding me???

Nope. Real deal.

Someone in CA had a deposit on it already - one that was sent a long time ago. Rick implicitly tells the owner not to do anything with that car if the deal doesn't go through. Good looking out!

Tuesday night Rick's truck was broken into at the hotel. Bastards stole the video camera bag (inadvertently left in truck - that also held digital camera) and EVERY tool (including specialty tools made over a period of years). Wednesday & Thursday before heading home he bought Eldorado parts, one car, and managed to buy his video camera back for $150 (minus the media card) from a street thug who wouldn't rat his friend out. Also while he was there, another vintage Cadillac dealer from the East Coast showed up and worked out a deal for 12,000 square feet of parts inventory. Definitely a LOT going on in a short period of time there while more cars were being crushed throughout...

On the long drive home, Rick thought to call the owner and bring the '60 up again, having forgotten to do so before leaving the property. TOO LATE!!!

It was scrapped 15 minutes earlier.

350 vintage Cadillacs crushed in less than 2 weeks time. Rick felt horrible even mentioning the '60 to me in the first place now. The pisser? I've driven through Wichita Falls twice in the last 3 months and even knew about this old hoarder. Was told not to bother stopping because he was out of the business and looking to sell it as a complete package.

Yet ultimately, just yesterday, scrap value of $300 took that coach.

I do not know if the '64 is still on the ground. I'll check Rick's video camera for any footage that may have saved to the camera itself.

I guess the only moral is that they are still out there. :stars:

I guess the only moral is that they are still out there

You never know until you go look. I called on my 62 and talked to the owner and it was described as a end loader to me . It was a Crown Royale Electric 3-way with Levlizer. Still looking for the rt fender trim and rocker molding .Thanks!

Attachments

• 62 back.jpg
    62 back.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC05832.jpg
    DSC05832.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC05841.jpg
    DSC05841.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC05947.jpg
    DSC05947.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC05877.jpg
    DSC05877.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 200
Unfortunately, this is why the cars that remain are rare - and becoming rarer by the day.

But that sucks that he was able to buy his own camera back but not the memory card. What the heck are they gonna do with his memory card?

Back