Wanted door latch

Hello fellow members. I need the door latch "star wheel" for the rear door of my 40 lasalle hearse. It is a round star looking wheel that has pointed protrusions that engage the door latch when closing. The "star" rotates into a fixed latch mounted on the body.
On my car the some of the pointed parts of the "star" are worn down and the door will not latch easily.
Help me !!!! If anyone knows what this is correctly called or knows what i am refering to contact me please.
This is from my 1940 cadillac lasalle hearse but i am sure it must have been used on othertypes of vehicles of that time period.
Chevrolet,buick,oldsmobile,pontiac,packard,etc.
Your help would truly be appreciated.
Thank you,
chuck

I take it this piece your talking about can be removed from the latch it's self? haven't see one like that. most are crimped in in a fashion that you would destroy the latch getting the wheel out. if it could be removed a machine shop could build up the cogs and reshape them to get it to work. in truth I have not seen one that worn down on the teeth so bad it wount catch. usually its the shaft or what ever they used for a bushing that gives it so much slop that a good jar will pop it open. but then again I have not seen everything out there and this one would be back father then I can remember. my experience is that they used a latch from something else and built it to fit there needs. it of course can't be newer then your car but could have been used after that date most likly a sedan delivery type. they may have used the whole door and frame from a different source. try matching it up with what was offered in the gm line back to about 5 or 10 years. you find a door that looks like yours, you can figure out what they used and go from there. but first check the shaft for movement and make sure the door is properly adjusted. start by removing the striker and making sure the door has not shifted in the opening. then adjust the striker so that the door will engage the safety catch and then go on to the secondary catch. if you can't feel it make the first catch then the striker is to deep and it won't stay closed. if it's two low it will catch but not enough of the teeth to keep it when the body flexes. as long as the inside sear is engaging with the teeth and the out side is set deep enough in the striker the door will stay closed. ever if it warn out. but if the shaft is worn down enough that it flexes and realised the inside shear it won't stay closed when you drive it. same if the lower braces in the door opening are broken. the door frame sill shift when you drive enough to release the latch

That part isn't replaceable, so a picture of the latch with dimensions is the best way to find a replacement. You are correct, that this is probably used on other GM cars of the time. It sounds like a standard door latch mechanism. Also, check the part carefully for a part number. In that era, GM routinely stamped part numbers into the part for identification should the packaging be damaged or lost.
Paul

If this '39 Henney Packard looks the same, I'll provide yard info. Neglected to take shot of rear loading door.

dsc02474o.jpg

Latch mechanism update

Hello fellow enthusiast,
i want to thank those of you that took the time to reply with your thoughss and opinions. I have been scouring ebay for any parts that may be available. By sheer luck i discovered listings for a "rotary door lock kit" offerd by several sellers that looked very similiar. I noticed that there were different kits available and through contact with one seller he told me that originally there were a total of six different kits made.
The degree angle of the latch changed with each kit. Three different degrees for the left doors and three different degrees for the right doors.
I bought all six from different ebay vendors and some have arrived and appear to be what i need. I am still waiting for the others to arrive before i dismantle the latch as i want match my old part with the correct degree wheel.
I will update you when i learn more about this. If i could ever help anybody please do not hestitate to ask.
Chuck:1::17875:

Back