1956 Pontiac Ambulance

It's so ugly I just love it. It took me a long time to like '56 Pontiacs as the chrome under the lights reminds me of bags under eyes. Anyway, this one seems rough. Right price, but rough.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2632784984.html
1956 pontiac ambulance - $1500 (brentwood / oakley)
Date: 2011-10-04, 3:33PM PDT
Reply to: sale-bhrpy-2632784984@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
I have a 1956 pontiac ambulance, that was made by superior, and is rare, in that it was built to be one of a few to be exported out of the united states, but ended up staying and used in Drain Oregon. Its called a pathfinder, because unlike the normal ambulances, this had metal in place of the side, rear glass. Over the years that ive had it, ive talked to a couple of ambulance clubs and was told that they didnt know there were any left in the united states. Out of the 300 pontiacs that Superior used to make profesional cars, one third or less were made into ambulances, while the others were hearses,flower cars,and limos.
The reason im selling it is because it has turned out to be one of the "ill get to it one day" cases, and that day has yet to come. Now if your still reading, heres more about the car.

The front floor is rotted, there is no glass thanks to someone breaking it out before i got it, the motor is out and in pieces, but is all there, the grill is off the car, and the the stearing column is out. Its all there, just many things like the seat were removed to prevent ferther damage or to fix and restore. I posted pics of it when i first got it, so you can see all the parts are there.The actual body is solid other then surface rust, and has very little damage other then door type dings. It also has 2 new front tires that are about 1 year old. it comes with about 8 or 10 hubcaps. i bought along the way.

5T15W45P13nd3o43lbba490cc9a3a971b183c.jpg

I remember this guy from a while back. He said that he was going to figure out a way to reproduce the roof light lenses. I guess he never did.....

It is a Superior Pathfinder, a fairly rare car in it's day. They were intended to be a very basic ambulance for export, but some were sold in the US. They had no windows on the side, only the "landau panel", and no cabinets or divider at all.

I spoke to someone with a Pathfinder once, I don't know if it's the same guy or not.

Those light lenses are said to be the same as for Superior school busses, so if you know of a school bus junkyard, you could check for those lenses. I actually know of a school bus junkyard near here, but no luck.

Back