Needed for bench testing

Joseph G Unrein

PCS Member
I just acquired a Federal PA-20A Interceptor (thanks Steve) and need an inexpensive speaker for bench testing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe

I got some cheap speakers one time from a radio shop that did install for the local police. They were used and didn't fit the new cars. Try who ever does installs in your area.

Just worried about shipping cost............

The siren driver is heavy, but small. Does the post office still have those boxes that cost like $7 to send anything that will fit in the box up to like 20 lbs??? If so, I have several siren drivers in my garage. I'm sure I can part with one cheap.

They are called flat rate boxes. The medium sized one is about $10 postage, and the 12" x 12" x 10" one is about $15. You can pick up the boxes for free in most post offices... Paul

Make sure the speaker watt is compatible with your power source. I have an electronic horn in my SUV. A cobbled up 200 watt SVP SA-400 Siren Controller. I installed a radio shack car alarm speaker, since I don't need the siren speaker as I'm no longer an officer. It sounded really cool for about a hundredth of a second, then there was an electrical odor. A $95 mistake.

That's the best place to get "testing" or "see what works" parts, Radio Shack. Any public address system speaker will work. Again, provided you hook it up to the proper power source. I used a car battery charger.

It is important to use an 11 ohm speaker in order to avoid burning up the output transistors. I would suggest getting a federal signal speaker. If the siren does not work, you can always resell the speaker. I just purchased a pa15a myself.

one looks you can get then newer version of them on e-bay for a round 40 bucks a lot of the time. I was wondering on the impedance of the speaker. 11 ohms would be a different one then most you would pick up. a speaker of higher wattage capabilities would be OK but it would have to be the same ohms

The siren driver is heavy, but small. Does the post office still have those boxes that cost like $7 to send anything that will fit in the box up to like 20 lbs??? If so, I have several siren drivers in my garage. I'm sure I can part with one cheap.

This is going to sound stupid, but I am a hearse guy and know nothing about sirens. Here goes, is a siren driver the same thing as a speaker?

John,

The answer is a qualified yes. The whole assembly is the "speaker". The "driver" is the transducer that converts electrical impulses into sound waves. The speaker cone directs those waves.

R/Jon

Back