Propello Rays

The best way to find the original color is to use some 400 grit wet or dry (that is what it is called) automotive sandpaper, and using some water, start sanding through the paint in a small area, until you can identify each of the colors that the car was painted during its lifetime of service. Once you get past the last color, and are into the final layer of primer, and then the bare metal, you will know what each color was in the order that it was painted. I would start sanding on a section of the car that is least likely to have ever been replaced, such as the rear quarter panel, or the rear door. Sometimes, you can find the original color under the rubber door gaskets, or by removing a door handle. Most painters never removed these items to do a repaint, but just taped around them.

Door jambs still have the original 2 tone blue paint. The paint is peeling everywhere and I can see it's had only one repaint. The repaint is orange. It was probably a reddish orange and we are just arguing about a slight color variation, but it has faded to a lighter orange. If it had been red, it would have faded to pink.

... If it had been red, it would have faded to pink.
Not necessarily. I have a fire department vehicle sitting out in my yard now. It's not my vehicle, I'm just storing it, so it sits outside. It was red, I know it was red because I drove it when it was in service (red) and when I got it, it was still red. And the parts that face the sun are indeed now more orange than red. Not pink. The sun does amazing damage to red paint.

I'd say that, based on that and on Steve Loftin's photo of it in service (linked above), parked next to an orange ambulance, the Memphian was red at that time.

Meanwhile, to the original question, I have some Propello-rays that I'm not using. Send me a PM.

The mirrors pictured mount on the door, and he need them mounted on the front fenders. The heads of this pair could be removed, and mounted on the Unity arms so they would work with some additional parts. I believe that these are Mopar mirrors, but not certain. If I had the part number that is casted into the base where they mount to the door, I could identify that, which would in turn identify the year and make of car that these came off of. Even if thy are Mopars, most people today wouldn't know, and they would look great on the car.

I see that the listing ended prematurely with no bids. Someone must have contacted the seller and bought them privately.

I have pictures of the lights that were on it and the holes that are in the fenders that I want to post, but I'm not sure how to do that on here. Do I need to use an image hosting website?

those holes are the standard pattern for a federal siren. I would think a propeller ray would be a lot smaller than that I take it the spots did not run clear into the cab. or am I losing the position of the car in the pictures.

to post on site you need to be a site supporter.

The roof holes for the propello rays

those holes are the standard pattern for a federal siren. I would think a propeller ray would be a lot smaller than that I take it the spots did not run clear into the cab. or am I losing the position of the car in the pictures.

to post on site you need to be a site supporter.

The stand along PropelloRay or Solaray lights used the same mounting bracket (base) as the Federal Siren. From the look of the area surrounding the holes, it appears to me that you will need the Federal Bracket with the 10 degree mount. Below is a picture of this particular bracket in chromed brass. Most of these brackets were made from aluminum, and require polishing.

Attachments

• MVC_002_L.jpg
    MVC_002_L.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 95
1962 chevy impala spotlights

To put a little perspective on what a pair of OEM spotlights are worth today, take a look at this auction. Your jaw might drop, but if you need them for your ambulance, you have to reach deep into your pocket to buy them... With one bid, and the bid going up by $50 each time, it can get out of hand quite quickly.

Attachments

• oem spotlight 1.jpg
    oem spotlight 1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 90
  • oem spotlight 2.jpg
    oem spotlight 2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 90
Back