Mint Condition E&J Resuscitator

Nicholas Studer

PCS Elected Director 2022-2025
I lucked out and was able to purchase this specimen a few months ago. Needed an E&J, Emerson, or MSA Pneolator for the 1961 Eureka-Cadillac Hi-Boy's resuscitator cabinet - and I've always wanted to add an original E&J to the collection.

This one was part of a Department of Defense industrial materials war stockpile. Apparently, it was sitting in an active industrial plant somewhere in the Pacific Northwest as part of their "first aid" stock until this year. Blows my mind that this thing was in frontline service for over 60 years, just never used. I haven't had the opportunity to turn it on - but it's full of gas apparently and works. Sure looks like it...

The cylinders are even wrapped in original shipping paper, hydro dated 1947, with original fill tags... DOD property tag from 1950s is still on it (quite cool). Most (all?) accessories present, and the transfilling cable has its original warning tag tied to it. Just fascinating! There's an extra oxygen key that looks almost homemade, also present - but not pictured. Anyone see anything missing from the accessory panel? Seems there's room for another mask at least?

I'm worried about the rubber deteriorating. So many of these things are trashed/dry rotted. While it's indoors/climate controlled - one worries about the fact it's been removed from whatever environment protected it all these years. I was thinking of rubbing down the rubber in 303 Aerospace Protectant but am indecisive...

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 136
In moving around a lot of my "junk", I found the 2 that I have, and the masks are in perfect condition. I believe that it is a testament to the quality of the material used. There should be 3 masks, Adult, Adolescent, and Baby. There are also 2 or 3 sizes of chrome plated airway tubes, or whatever the technical term is.

This one was stored in horrible conditions and the rubber is still in perfect condition. I say leave them alone.

Attachments

• IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0468.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 102
Like. I have some extra parts. After restoration and failed resale, I took mine apart and turned it into a working device. I also have parts catalogs for the ICR and Lytport Models; as well as a shop that can make *some of the missing parts. I have yet to find one that was complete with all of the options. The cylinder wrench looks original. They Are supposed to have a small aluminum seal for the opposite side, when the extension to a larger tank is in use.

Back