Red Headlights

Mike Owens

PCS Member
Where can I buy replacement red headlights for my 1970 Superior Cadillac Ambulance? What are the specs I need to know?

they are a standard high beam light with a red instead of white lens. the number would be followed by a R now don't quote me but i think it was Kurt that had a few for sale

The part number is 4001R. Wagner also made a 50 watt version using part number 5001R. You should bear in mind that Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards prohibit altering the factory headlight system. People get away with it all the time but if you need to use your high beams you're out of luck.

I finally got the headlight out and it has the following printed on the back: 12 Volt GE4413R

4413R is not a headlight. It has the screw connection base, not the 3-prong hi-beam connection. The 4413Rs would not have been correct, if mounted in the hi-beam headlight position.

so would the 4413 be a fluted lens or just a spot? the par 36 bulb is the same size in diameter as the headlight it lacks the mounting tabs to keep it from rotating and is as you have discovered wired differently. with any kind of luck the man that put them in knew enough to wire them competently separate from the headlight harness. so that set of wires is intact. that begin said when i was looking for bulbs this size in red for the suburban I was able to find them made in china in spots only. some were in the 15 buck range. type in par 36 red light in your search bar, see what pops up

so would the 4413 be a fluted lens or just a spot? the par 36 bulb is the same size in diameter as the headlight it lacks the mounting tabs to keep it from rotating and is as you have discovered wired differently. with any kind of luck the man that put them in knew enough to wire them competently separate from the headlight harness. so that set of wires is intact. that begin said when i was looking for bulbs this size in red for the suburban I was able to find them made in china in spots only. some were in the 15 buck range. type in par 36 red light in your search bar, see what pops up

Ed,
Yes, the 4413R is fluted.

picture.php

as I said the only replacements I could find were spots. you can use the headlights Kurt has and change both of them. but one would have to get a couple hight beam pig tails and wire then to your eyelets.

Emergency lighting

I have two in the box 4413R's. Two different brands. Looking to trade for two windshield wiper switch housing/box as the cheap plastic box in both of our 1969 Superiors are melted. Superiors mounted the box on the door with a port for the remote mirror toggle.

Red Headlight Replacement

The headlight I got from E-bay was a Wagner 4413R and worked perfectly as a replacement for the GE. Thanks to all for your input...
;)

Back