1951 Chrysler Ambulance

Nicholas Studer

PCS Elected Director 2022-2025
Very cool, looks to be in great shape. As I understand it, these were directly sold by Chrysler dealers. I am not sure about the "military" part. I guess the cot bar and so forth must have been removed at some point.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1951-chrysler-town-and/6469655535.html

Beautiful Chrysler Town and Country Wagon, Windsor Ambulance. 69,000 miles 250 cui L head flat 6 with 3 on the tree. Beautiful inside and out, lots of interior wood, runs great, stops great. Power steering, fog lights, chrome excellent. Was a Military Ambulance. Paint is very good , interior is excellent. Classic rare wagon. $21,500.00 or best offer

Attachments

• 1951 Chrysler Ambulance_1.jpg
    1951 Chrysler Ambulance_1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 274
  • 1951 Chrysler Ambulance_3.jpg
    1951 Chrysler Ambulance_3.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 264
  • 1951 Chrysler Ambulance_12.jpg
    1951 Chrysler Ambulance_12.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 262
  • 1951 Chrysler Ambulance_22.jpg
    1951 Chrysler Ambulance_22.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 263
Chrysler

This was on Ebay 1-2 years ago. Looks exactly the same, same license plates, etc. I think the winning bid was about 20K. At that time, the seller said it had served with the U.S. Department of Energy (my guess would be maybe at a nuclear plant or something). Reminds me of the rigs the mines would use, bare bones, but usually pretty nice because they didn't see too much action--low miles.

why would anyone use a top of the line wagon as a plant ambulance?

not seeing any other evidence except a molding easily added, I would question that. with sedan ambulances being built on the New Yorker chassis, if some executive wanted a duel propose car that over a wagon would be more likely.

I don't question it. Why would anyone ADD an ambulance nameplate to a beautiful New Yorker T&C wagon? It doesn't make it any more valuable. It sure looks period-correct and where else have you seen this specific name plate used? I do question the military claim. These modified wagons were being offered through Chrysler dealers at this time.

All of the Richards Bros. conversions were sold through Chrysler dealers and they offered them on both Windsor/Newport & New Yorker wagons.

1951 Chrysler hood ornaments were on of the coolest, and most practical, hood ornaments ever made! I have one in my collection.

I don't question it. Why would anyone ADD an ambulance nameplate to a beautiful New Yorker T&C wagon? It doesn't make it any more valuable. It sure looks period-correct and where else have you seen this specific name plate used? I do question the military claim. These modified wagons were being offered through Chrysler dealers at this time.

All of the Richards Bros. conversions were sold through Chrysler dealers and they offered them on both Windsor/Newport & New Yorker wagons.

but what is modified on this one? the split seat was standard on them in these years. the number of hands this car has passed thew from then to now and the number of things that may or may not have been redone are all up for speculation. all I see is a molding no evidence of a switch panel or lights or siren. now they could have used a road flat for a gurney so no hold down but no cups either. but like you I have never seen a military rig that was not bottom of the line. it's a nice story might be true.

Not sure as to whether that is the standard split configuration on the second seat. As with most conversions, some were very minimal is what was done and some more extensive. On the Richards Bros. conversions, some had tunnel lights, some didn't. On my '61 Richards Bros. New Yorker, there were no signs of there ever having been a cot bar in it, but it originally had tunnel lights.

but what is modified on this one? the split seat was standard on them in these years. the number of hands this car has passed thew from then to now and the number of things that may or may not have been redone are all up for speculation. all I see is a molding no evidence of a switch panel or lights or siren. now they could have used a road flat for a gurney so no hold down but no cups either. but like you I have never seen a military rig that was not bottom of the line. it's a nice story might be true.

Aren't those stretcher post cups in image 14, or are the ones pictured something different?

Those are the finger holes to lift the spare tire cover off. Now richard brothers built there ambulance conversions as a company. If this one is a ambulance its a one of or most likely a Canadian builder. You do see a number of these cars converted up there. Which may be why the script is not recognized. I just can't think of any USA builders using it.

not seeing any other evidence except a molding easily added, I would question that. with sedan ambulances being built on the New Yorker chassis, if some executive wanted a duel propose car that over a wagon would be more likely.

Since I'm an old fart, I'll offer a suggestion. Cars, particularly wagons still weren't all that abundant in 51 due to production going to the military for the Korean "Police action".

Chrysler probably only made top of the line models available in the wagon line when they returned to civilian manufacturing.

I have been dreaming about this car all day. To me, it is gorgeous and if I could find a way, I would love to have it. However, short of a winning lottery ticket, or Santa Clause making a special appearance, I don't see that happening.

Ed,
This wagon is not Chrysler's "top of the line". This one is a Windsor Town & Country 6-passenger wagon with a 6-cyl. This would be Chrysler's cheapest wagon.

Chrysler's "top of the line" wagon was the New Yorker Town & Country, which had an 8-cyl.

I'm fuzzy on the earlier 50's coaches, would this be an Economy Coach like this common '53 BROCHURE Walter Miller has for sale on ebay or HERE?
Or it looks like this '51 BROCHURE on ebay and HERE. "We suggest you contact the Chrysler Dealer for Complete information and a demonstration before you buy."
I'll check my books later tonight.

[Edit] Kurt, I think I have noticed that the earlier 50's Chrysler ambulance ads make no mention of the coachbuilders, but I don't know why, and I have not confirmed they were built in-house; kind of doubt it. (One of those rabbit holes I haven't completely gone down yet.)

Attachments

• 134153b.jpg
    134153b.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 106
  • img3249_71092.jpg
    img3249_71092.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 96
  • img3250_71093.jpg
    img3250_71093.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
looks like it to me also. got the ambulance logo in the same spot. and see they set it up for a road flat. a colisipe cot would work good also. Bill you get I trade you a gurney to put in it.

that would be the Chrysler factory conversion. to me it's top of t eline as all I remember are these plymoths

Attachments

• 1954 plymouth wagon.jpg
    1954 plymouth wagon.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 101
Dad always wished that he could get a car that was only 10 years old. We ran threw a few of these things before they could. That is my cousin Judy at about 1 so I would have been 11.

Back