Hawaii Five-0

Don't know if anyone noticed, but the Spike cable channel is running marathons of the old TV series "Hawaii Five-0". (Apparently, this is in preparation for the new version of "Hawaii Five-0" on CBS, as if they need to remind us of the old one first.) Good cop show from the '70s, and since I have days off, I can watch some of it.

They have frequent shots of ambulances taking care of those assaulted or murdered, mostly a white '67 Superior Pontiac. This photo is just from aiming my camera at the TV, not a great picture but you can still see it. Watch the show for quick views of this car.

"Book 'im, Danno!"

Attachments

• 0903000934a.jpg
    0903000934a.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 602
I watched a little of that show today too !

I have collected, I think, the first 6 seasons of that show on DVD. At least the first 5 seasons for sure.

I loved it as a kid !

I have been to Hawaii twice and it was cool to see where it was filmed back then.

I will try to watch the new series but Im sure I won't be at home when its on. TV doesn't happen much for me.

Would love to see Barnaby Jones back on as re-runs too !

Darren

I always thought that Pontiac was interesting because it had Junior beacons on it. They were very rare on hightop (or any other) ambulances.

Other common "Physician's" cars on this show included a 1971 S&S combination as well as 1971 and 1970 M-M hightops:

1970 M-M:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5SXvboYyk[/ame]

1971 M-M (note how it magically turns into the aforementioned 1967 Pontiac):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_G_iKeDRvw[/ame]

I can certainly do without the fake/stock siren sound effects!

Other common "Physician's" cars on this show included a 1971 S&S combination as well as 1971 and 1970 M-M hightops:

1970 M-M:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5SXvboYyk

1971 M-M (note how it magically turns into the aforementioned 1967 Pontiac):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_G_iKeDRvw

I can certainly do without the fake/stock siren sound effects!

Hah-it looks like in that first video the '70 M-M is barreling down the road w/ no attendant in the rear! Poor patient (or maybe lucky patient given the inconsistent training of ambulance personnel in those days!) Yes, those canned siren tracks leave something to be desired.

Hawaii 5-0

Found this old post. The original series used two local rigs in a lot of their episodes. On was a City and County of Honolulu pontiac ambulance and the other was a Miller-Meteor cadillac ambulance used by Physician's Ambulance. Both rigs are long-gone which is too bad.

Attachments

• 5-0.jpg
    5-0.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 905
  • 5-0b.jpg
    5-0b.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 416
the complete serie was disponible on Youtube back in september. I watched them all to keep a register of all the pro car mostly ambulances used. I remember an episode title, blind Tiger which have a great scene with this pontiac, and also the beginning of the king of the hill episode, full code-3 scene.

Just curious.. are there any salvage yards on the islands? If so, might it be possible that the old ambulances might be resting in one of them? If you find the 1967 Pontiac, let me know... that is my next dream car...

Found this old post. The original series used two local rigs in a lot of their episodes. On was a City and County of Honolulu pontiac ambulance and the other was a Miller-Meteor cadillac ambulance used by Physician's Ambulance. Both rigs are long-gone which is too bad.

That car almost reminds me of the monkee mobile.
And yes there are salvage yards around Honolulu, and on the big island, around Kona. Don't know about Maui or Kaui.

They must have ordered the ambulance with a number of options. Based on other 67s that I have looked at, very few have a Unity spotlight on the passenger side A pillar, and this is the first one that I have seen with a step on the rear bumper.

These photos of Physician's '72 Lifeliner were taken by a former employer of mine while he was vacationing in Hawaii back in the early '70's. I don't know if this car ever made any of the tv episodes.

Attachments

• Hawaii001.jpg
    Hawaii001.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 388
  • Hawaii002.jpg
    Hawaii002.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 352
Here are 3 more photos of Suburban-based ambulances taken in Hawaii in the early '70's. At least one of them is lettered as a "Physician's" ambulance. Not sure about the unmarked one. I'm going to guess that the high top white rig is a Stoner, and the white over silver one is a Challenger.

Attachments

• Hawaii003.jpg
    Hawaii003.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 337
  • Hawaii004.jpg
    Hawaii004.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 365
  • Hawaii005.jpg
    Hawaii005.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 341
Back