1942 Siebert Ambulance door latch

I have finally rebuilt the wood framed doors on the 1942 Siebert Ambulance. However, I need a right rear door latch. anyone known where there might be a parts ambulance?
Thanks
Dan Marx

dlmarx at bellsouth.net
Rembert, SC

I am not talking as a Siebert expert here but it would make sense that the latch would be the same as a Ford passenger car or at least a woodie wagon. If that is the case then 41 to 48 should interchange and if it is a Siebert special again it should be the same 41 to 48 with them. Time for the more knowledgeable to speak up. Most manufacturers changed little from 41 to 48 due to World War ll especially hard parts.

When it comes to professional cars, my advice is when all else fails, improvise. I think with the rarity of a seventy seven year old ambulance.

You say it has rear opening doors/viz hinged at the back. This the way a regular Ford Sedan was made so it leads me to believe its a standard Ford part. Should be available from one of the antique Ford parts vendors. Get yourself a copy of Hemmings motor news and start calling or emailing.

The made there rear doors by flipping the front to the other side. It would be a standard ford part.
Attached are pix of the door, the latch fits over the wood frame. I have looked at other ford latches, but they are internal for metal framed doors.
Looking for any help possible.
Thanks
Dan Marx
803-549-218 seven.

Attachments

• amb door R 3.jpg
    amb door R 3.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 258
  • amb door r 1.jpg
    amb door r 1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 264
  • amb door R 2.jpg
    amb door R 2.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 253
Please compare mounting holes to front door latches, as is the rear door mounting holes for the latch the same as the left front door mounting holes? This will help all trying to help you know better what you need. Try to understand Siebert did not make special latches themselves if they did it would be a first so everyone myself included are trying to figure out what the latch is from.

left rear door.

Well, only that door. The roof leaked extensively where the extension was done, all rotted!! The left door was the same story. see pix. I don't have the left door latch either, but I am not going to be using that door. It will be permanently placed.

Attachments

• Amb door L 1.jpg
    Amb door L 1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 326
  • amb door L 2.jpg
    amb door L 2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 332
  • amb door l 3.jpg
    amb door l 3.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 301
I would try Peters suggestion. Keep in mind pretty was not necessary what the smaller manufactures were after. You will see a lot of butcher till it works during there construction. The latch could have come from any source. That was readily available. But they liked the fords. My bet would be woody wagon.

To my knowledge there are no production numbers. Nothing was made for civilians after 2/09/1942 so doubtful very many were made unless they got a government contract. That said almost anyting used was carried over from 1941 until they literally ran out of parts so any photo you get of a 41 or 42 latch should work and I stand with ED its a woody wagon latch. Further more check with a Ford garu , vendor, parts book and I think you will find the woodie latch the same 41 to 48. Good Luck

Back