SOMEONE bought a new car and its headed to Minnesota

Rick Franklin

PCS Member
As most of you know, I make my living as a flatbed tow truck driver. Most of my work week involves delivering vehicles to the two large dealer auto auctions in the Seattle area. Today, as I entered the transport load/unload area I saw up on the top deck of a 10 car hauler a rusty but reparable 67 or 68 Superior Cadillac Ambulance. It was blue and white and had all the emergency lights, sirens and name signs still on it. I asked the truck driver what the story was on it. He told me some guy in Minneapolis bought it. He picked it up in Eugene,Oregon and is delivering it to Minnesota. The name plates on the rig say "WELBYS" but I don't know if they were an Oregon company. I called Tony Karsnia to see if he recognized the owners name and he didn't but he is on alert now to look for the car once it reaches Northland country. Too bad I didn't have my camera with me today; I really need to keep it in my briefcase!

I am not in the market for another ambulance. But, when I saw that Superior, in spite of the full restoration needed, it still got me excited. I sure hope someone restores it, what a beauty it could be!

Well, it didn't take us too long!

As many of our friends know, us Northlanders don't miss much in the way of professional cars in and around the state of Minnesota. Some have even said we have big noses, capable of sniffing out professional cars. :D After Rick's phone call, I was curious to see how long it would take before we crossed paths with a certain blue & white Superior Rescuer.

Last week, Jon Wurm was driving along a two-lane state highway west of the Twin Cities and spotted an old hearse sitting at a mechanic's shop. Naturally, he pulled in to check it out, and found a very solid 1949 Eureka Cadillac limousine-style 3-way, complete with table! :thumbsup: This was quite a find, but adding icing to the cake was...over yonder...a familiar looking blue & white 1967 Superior Cadillac 51" Rescuer! :eek:

Nobody was around at the time, but we are in the process of tracking down the cars' owner.

(Am attempting to attach photos, but having technical difficulty.)

Now, if we could just zero in on that 1960 Guardian that's rumored to be around here someplace...

I think this may be my favorite ambulance I have seen come up for sale. I know it needs a lot of work, but I just like the way it looks, color and everything. If I was in a better situation that would have been a project I would have strongly considered. I hope it proves to be in better condition in person than it looks in pictures. It would be a shame to part it out.

Wow, that Eureka is really starting to look bad. I have some pics of it that were taken around 15 years ago. Nice to know its still around.

Blue/White Rescuer

Did anyone ever track down the owner of the Welby Rescuer? Is it still around or still just sitting outside the shop? (I'm dreaming of his/hers sets, or maybe Superiors by year)

Back