73 Cadillac Hearse rust issues... How To? (big pix inside not 64k friendly)

I have hidden rust I can not really get to easily with sand paper... how can I get rid of it? Sand blast it and then paint on some rust converter stuff?

I have rust hidden in between the layers of the hood and some on the INSIDE rear of the car I took off the inside rear panels and found some crazy stuff near the seams of the top and the rest of the body. The stuff on/ inbetween the seam I don't think even a sandblaster can get to.... what do I do?

Also I don't want to bondo any of it. I want to get leaded body solder if I can find it cheap.

*update Below*

I got something called Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver to try out as well as Jasco Prep & Primer

I cleaned off some of the rust bubbles and flakes and loose rust then tried to sand what I could but the surface is too uneven to sand. I painted it with the Jasco Prep & primer. That is why it looks the way it does. BUT what do I do about all the areas I can't reach into and sand?

More pix here http://tiny.cc/73Hearse

img0201large.jpg

img0210large.jpg

img0208large.jpg

img0207large.jpg

first of all let me say a picture to big for anyone's monitor is the same as no pictures at all. lead will not stick to rust. lead will not stick to rust converter. if you can see it you can get to it. the old store is cherry red the rust is dead. on those laid together spot welded panels the only way I know of to get shed of the rust is to burn it out. the get it wet let is get that first layer of rust back than soak it in converter. the converter won't work if there is no rust. all they convert is rust. in the same token if it can't get to it it can't convert it either. these panels your talking about are a major concern as once the rust gets between them it's all most impossible to get to. the only effective way I know is to sand blast then heat the joint then as I said get it wet and let it dry and then use the converter on what is there. prime the exposed edges with a oil base primer. then finish from there. Eastwood will have everything you need to work the lead.if your interested.

Seeing these pictures and reading this has reminded and made me wonder about when someone does a full frame off restoration and every single peice of metal has been ether sand blasted, soda blasted or even acid dipped how good did they do about getting in behind those hood, fender, trunk panels and did they get the rust out of the roof bows/supports and out of the frame rails doing so? Wouldn't be good to have rust through to show up in the middle of a roof on a $80K restoration job because all the rust wasn't blasted out of a roof bow!:3_7_11v::14_6_12:

acid dipping might be a good idea for the hood because sand can't even get to those places at the very front. Where would I get that done at? I would not be able to afford to get the body done by far. Most everything I have to do by hand with stuff I already have.

I do have my eye out for a 73 or 74 hood. Those are identical I was told but I am not sure where to confirm which years will swap. BUT every hood I can find within a reasonable distance is rusted the same as mine.

I might need one of those myself the company that towed it bent the rear bumper in the middle. I might be able to have someone fix it though.

it doesn't do you any good to take the car to bare steel if you can't prime the parts. you use the acid bath and clean it down to raw steel all it will do is rust. acid bath, neutralizer, then primer bath. that small layer of rust is better then raw steel underneath. what your looking at on the caddy hoods is this problem. GM skipped the painting under them in 73 all together. shot the out side let the under rust away. if you spray the rust converters at least you get a hard finish but even they need to have the primer coat to protect them. were the hoods will go on 72 and 73 are different. the 73 has eye brows

That is what I want to do but I would primer and paint both sides after the rust got fixed. I wish there was a way to separate the two layers of the hood then I could solve this myself.

That is what I want to do but I would primer and paint both sides after the rust got fixed. I wish there was a way to separate the two layers of the hood then I could solve this myself.

how you going to paint inside a blind panel or between to pieces of steel spot welded together? try as hard as you can you can't get it. this is why the car plants dunked them to fill the behind place you can't get to. none of the aftermarket plants dunked there bodies. the gm hoods still rusted out from the inside out. if you took it apart to clean up and paint you still got to get it back to gather. you will damage the paint doing that in places you can't get back to redo. it's not a perfect world and can't be made into one we all just do the best we can and hope a new way comes out sooner then later. spray your convertes into what cracks you can and hope for the best for now.

Would cavity wax help? When I worked in a body shop, we used cavity wax and pumped it into blind spots like rocker panels and inside doors that were reskinned.

Back