rear tire failure blow outs

In the past I have had a quite few rear tire failure blow outs over the years and it is very difficult on the side of the road to change rear tire on my 62 Cadillac Eureka Hearse.

I have commercial rims, balanced with Radial 235-75 15- 108S. Use different makers including Perelli. I keep it at proper pressure.

I want to switch to white walls. Can anyone recommend a good white wall radial tire.

Thank you

Yes. Don't put radials on it. You can get an appropriate sized white wall for the vintage and you eliminate the blow-out issue!

Make sure whatever tire you are buying is rated for the weight of the vehicle. But better yet, maybe a Honda Accord is better suited to your needs since any parts are readily available and even a simple mechanic can work on them

Rickey I think you need to read up on tires and load ranges. Your hearse is way heavier than a passenger car about 7000 lbs vs 4500 for average Cadillac of the era. So passenger tires don't cut it especially if you are carrying anything heavy. Also underinflation is a prime cause of blowouts though the book of the era on inflation says 25 to 29 pounds WRONG should be increased to 35 to 42 Pounds to help tire to run cooler. Get a copy of Hemmings Motor News many vintage tire companys advertise there call them discuss your needs the weight of the coach and any loads you expect to carry they are in position to advise you on whats best and they want your business. No need to buy a Honda.

Origional tire was rated as 2400 lb at 40 psi. The hankok optima is the tire yor looking for if you want radials. Keep max psi in them.

Do I have to use bias ply? Are bias ply stronger that radials for the size?
I already have radials on it but one bad rear tire. If I did have to go bias ply can I leave the radials on the front and put bias ply on the rear where all the weight is?

My Hearse weighed in at 7200lbs when it came into Hawaii from California.
I dont carry alot of heavy things.
Thanks

My boy why don't you call one of the tire suppliers and become more educated about tires. You can not mix tire types PLEASE talk with knowledgeable tire people and solve your issue. I have owned Pro Cars probably since before you were born and have never had a tire blow out. The only blowouts I ever had was before the days of rollbacks when we towed junkers with rotted tires in.

I challenge the weight of that rig. It's a hearse not a equipment loaded high to ambulance. It will be under 6000.in fact just over 5000. Has been my experience weighing them. If you are blowing out tires. Were is it rubbing. Your driving fast or caring anything heavy. Either the car is dog tracking or under movement its rubbing some place. Is it the same tire going everytime?

I challenge the weight of that rig. It's a hearse not a equipment loaded high to ambulance. It will be under 6000.in fact just over 5000. Has been my experience weighing them. If you are blowing out tires. Were is it rubbing. Your driving fast or caring anything heavy. Either the car is dog tracking or under movement its rubbing some place. Is it the same tire going everytime?

At weigh station in Honolulu where they weigh it for road tax when I was changing to Hawaii registration for this California car I recall they said 7300lbs. Guess I recall wrong.
Dont drive fast. No rubbing. I do carry some things. Always been radial tires. I think its always been the drivers side rear. Mostly sidewall blowout.

Then go to a nearby quarry or place where they sell stone and have a scale have it weighed and find out for sure the real weight. BTW I just got my new issue of Hemmings Motor News and with it came a free catalog from Universal Vintage Tire Co. 42 pages long 1-877-217-4316 or Coker Tire 1-866-708-1268 one of the two with the weight supplied can solve your problem.

I never got one on the scales that went over 6000. Including that 58 euerkia but if its a 3 way? Never ran one of them across the scales. Did you blow on out after you changed. The axal the last time?

This is the 75 Criterion weight slip.

Attachments

• 20191101_214805_resized (1).jpg
    20191101_214805_resized (1).jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 108
Yes its a 3 way.

Ive never changed the axles yet.

One time when getting alignment the tech said the wheels front to rear not aligned or something and that vehicle when running on the road will look
like its at an angle when viewed from rear by another car following it.
But Ive never Seen any unusual tread wear and he was the only one who ever said that after many alignments.

Yes its a 3 way.

Ive never changed the axles yet.

One time when getting alignment the tech said the wheels front to rear not aligned or something and that vehicle when running on the road will look
like its at an angle when viewed from rear by another car following it.
But Ive never Seen any unusual tread wear and he was the only one who ever said that after many alignments.

DING, DING, DING.....I believe you've just identified your problem!!!If it's "doggy tracking" going down the road, you're gonna keep having tire troubles no matter what you put on it!!! Get the tracking corrected first, then different tires.

Dog tracking can be adjusted so it doesn't wear the tires, by changing the toe of the car. An indication that this has been done, is the steering wheel is no longer centered. The car doesn't know any better, except that the steering circle in one direction will be wider than the other direction. If you were to jack the car up so both wheels were off the ground, and put the steering wheel in its straight ahead position, you will see that the wheels are pointed in a different direction than straight ahead. If they removed the steering wheel to compensate for the problem, then the directional signal cancelling mechanism will also be problematic on one side. Lots of ways to cheat on the alignment for dog tracking. Just need to know how to do them. Even the correct differential can dog track if one of the rear springs were changed, and the centering pin isn't located correctly on the differential.

Dog tracking can be adjusted so it doesn't wear the tires, by changing the toe of the car. An indication that this has been done, is the steering wheel is no longer centered. The car doesn't know any better, except that the steering circle in one direction will be wider than the other direction. If you were to jack the car up so both wheels were off the ground, and put the steering wheel in its straight ahead position, you will see that the wheels are pointed in a different direction than straight ahead. If they removed the steering wheel to compensate for the problem, then the directional signal cancelling mechanism will also be problematic on one side. Lots of ways to cheat on the alignment for dog tracking. Just need to know how to do them. Even the correct differential can dog track if one of the rear springs were changed, and the centering pin isn't located correctly on the differential.

On the registration shows the car weight as 6820lbs. Even my 59 Cadillac convertible weight shown on reg is 4960lbs.

So just changing the toe on the front end alignment stop tire wear solves the problem? I had leaf springs changed. What should I look for centering pin not correct? I havent seen any unusual wear on the rear tires.

My standard advice is if you have troubles go to the last thing you fixed. You keep blowing out that left rear and know it dog tracking. Check that set up on that new spring. My bet is they missed the center bolt. When the put it together. That was what caused the failer in the assmbly also.

We didn't run the 75 across the scale as Robert was driving it back home. But it was a way heavier car then anything else. 7200 for it not the 9000 the last guy told me one waighted. Y can beleve a Eureka 3 way hits 7000. The table has to add a ton at least. The 58 was just over 5000.

Back