My Most Recent Purchase

Kurt Arends

PCS Elected Director 2021-2024
'96 Eureka recently traded in from the VanderLaan Funeral Home in Hudsonville, MI. Extremely well cared for coach with 68,000 miles. No rust, which is rare for MI! Just drove it about 550 miles home.

Attachments

• '96 Eureka 3.jpg
    '96 Eureka 3.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 212
After having a few hundred Caprice cop cars go through in the day and remanufacturing about 50 except for the lousey 4L60 transmission and the opti spark they are great cars whether Brougham, Roadmaster,or Caprice. They are not as long lived as the Crown Vic but have a higher fun factor.

After having a few hundred Caprice cop cars go through in the day and remanufacturing about 50 except for the lousey 4L60 transmission and the opti spark they are great cars whether Brougham, Roadmaster,or Caprice. They are not as long lived as the Crown Vic but have a higher fun factor.

I am a huge fan of the last gen Brougham in any form.

Other than the transmission GM was very smart with this series. The only reason the cars have the 4L60 trans and not the heavier 4L80 is the floor stamping would have to have been changed to accommodate the larger transmission so they saved and paid in warranty claims. The frames and suspention date back to 1978 with mods along the way and the Brougham having longer side rails. I never understood why with the tow package you got a belt driven fan and an electric fan for cooling whereas the cop and standard version had two electric fans more GM smart thinking. Then the limo/pro car package still had the two fans but they did smarten up with a 12 bolt heavy duty rear Versus the 10 bolt in the rest. The cop and pro car versions had heavier gauge frames in some areas and wagon frames are different at the rear. From 78 to 90 many things interchange and 91 to 96 the front door and windshields interchange except for trim across the lines. The best story from a friend at GM is how the Brougham and Roadmaster got the 350. Seems Cadillac was getting complaints about the power and lousey fuel mileage in the stretch limos with the 307 Olds engine. So at a meeting to discuss the issue one engineer said "Well we are putting the 350 in the 9C1 cop cars why not make a wiring harness and add it to the Broughams?" so it came to be all for the better. Last but not least when the LT1 cars started to come in the Cab Companies stopped buying quickly as the one fleet owner told me,"If you think I am putting the nitwits that drive for me on the street in a 4000 pound hot rod you have another think coming".

Back