Replacement antenna

Jon VanDermark

PCS Member
The auto retractable AM radio antenna on my 67 S&S was damaged. I believe the motor is still intact, but I need a new mast. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Holy smokes! Just looked at the prices! :eek:

Should have bought a Corvair!!! :D If you think that that mast is expensive, you should see how much a 1978 AM/FM/CB antenna will bring. Add the radio into the equation, and you are over $???? What do you think that your Pontiac ambulance is worth today???.....

Before you spend any money, Test it. A bad ground or. A corroded connection may be your troubles. The antenna grounds threw the shaft one wire goes up the other down. So ground direct to the battery and jump one terminal then the other. if the motor runs and the shaft doesn't its broken if it doesn't run you need a new unit. If it goes up and down with the jumpers but not when plugged in clean the plug keep the ground jumper and see if it works then. I'm dufe you know you push and pull the tuning knob on that one to make it work. Of course if its laying on the fender the problem is apparent.

Like everything else shop around. Everyone is selling the same part at 100 different
prices. I check 2 first rock auto then ebay. The amizon. Then the vendors usa parts fisk caddy daddy down the list don't forget NAPA who ever has it cheapest get it there.

Electric antenna

My 79 Seville has AM-FM-CB. Yes, CB... so the antenna is probably a little different. If you want to send it out to have it analyzed and fixed, the only place I found was https://www.theantennasource.com. I had to have a body shop take it out for me - looks like the fender has to come off! Obviously this business is called the antenna source. They are very helpful.

My 79 Seville has AM-FM-CB. Yes, CB... so the antenna is probably a little different. If you want to send it out to have it analyzed and fixed, the only place I found was https://www.theantennasource.com. I had to have a body shop take it out for me - looks like the fender has to come off! Obviously this business is called the antenna source. They are very helpful.

Your car has a particularly difficult to remove antenna, because it has a bend at the bottom, I believe due to a shorter fender. The mast has a load coil at the top, and they are extremely difficult to find, and very expensive.
It is a highly desirable option to have on a Cadillac, and one not often found on most cars. I believe that it was a $300 upgrade to the standard Cadillac radio. I was toying with installing a AM/FM/CB/8 Track radio in the 1978 Superior, and using a standard CB antenna in place of the fender mounted antenna, because of cost.
Last CB antenna mast (separate part) that I saw sell on eBay, the mast sold for just North of $350. Complete OEM AM/FM/CB antenna's were selling for over $500, and that was about 8 or 9 years ago, when you could still find parts for the 1977-1979 Cadillac models. Most of that inventory has since evaporated, and the cars themselves are no longer being found in the pick a part yards. Hard to believe that those cars are 40+ years old.

From Car-Part.Com
Year
Part
Model Description Part
Grade Stock# US
Price Dealer Info Dist
mile
Antenna
Cadillac POWER-GOOD A 06101 $295 A & A Auto Parts USA-CA(Brentwood) Request_Quote 800-223-3971 / 925-634-1188 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat 2003

For 67 DeVille, I lost the ability to access the GM parts catalogs after retirement so you might need to verify that all 67's used this antenna. It's a bit pricey but when you need it..........

I have over $100 in parts for the front fender manual antenna on my 67 Pontiac 2+2 both NOS and reproduction. If I had gone with the correct (for judging) reproduction antenna mast which is oval instead of the round one like I used the price would have gone up probably another $75

I've seen the power antennas for my Pontiac advertised in the $400 range not including the dash switch or the wiring harness. I was tempted to add one to my car but I lost my body shop connection as he retired and sold the business.

Back