Brake Light Help

NJ Dorsey

So... I'm not getting brake lights coming on in the Travelall. I checked the "Stop Light" fuse- it's good. Bulbs themselves are good too and work with the turn signals.

Followed the wire from the taillights and they lead to a mechanical lever type switch on top of the steering column under the hood where it's not making contact to depress the lever. I tested the switch with an ohm meter- looks good- but when i taped the switch down...still no brake lights.

Now, there is a pressure brake light switch on the master cylinder that was disconnected from its wiring (reconnected it with no results)... was the first switch I described put in as a replacement to this one, you think? Or do they serve 2 different purposes?

I am not familiar with your vehicle, however, the brake lights work through the turn signal system on all cars that have directional lights that are integrated with brake lights. The switch on the master cylinder might be for a brake failure, or it might be what activated the brake lights. I suggest that you take your question to the International Travelall forums, and ask there. I am certain that someone there will have the answer, since they own and work on them. Just mention the year, model, engine size, etc., so they have all the needed information to answer your question. The more info you supply, the easier to find a resolution.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php

e89eae8570236b4b705ab70934b2a1ba.jpg

hot wire. the stop light switch will have one always hot wire to it. so it sounds to me like some one gave up on the presser switch. then tried to put in a trip switch. remember the hardest part is removing what other people did and get it back to factory . first question do the turn signals work? they are destined to shut off the brake light on the side that is flashing and the unit under the steering wheel can cause you trouble. one of the switches should have power to it. as it has one on the master that would be the factory one. turn signals working but brake light not. with no power to either switch, what probable happen is were ever they spliced in the factory harness has come apart. the presser switches are about 10 bucks. if you have a open I would go back to it and remove the other one.

1 wire to pressure switch is + from battery via fuse block
2nd wire from pressure switch to STOP light via turn signal switch.

Best troubleshoot is run a jumper from battery + to each wire at the pressure switch. One should light the STOP lights.
If not, move on to the turn signal - 4 way switch. That's the one on the steering colum and possibly has internal contact rotoff.

While playing employ continuity tester on the pressure switch. If you have to change it, plenty of penetrant of your choice for a few days before trying to move it.

Back