68 Dodge Polara National

Have been doing some work on the 68. Changed out the combination Federal 184 Light/Siren for a Federal 175 " Hill Climber". Also added an underhood Federal Dual Tone Siren. Am considering install a Mars TB8 on the hood as shown. Comments on the install of the Mars light in this location would be appreciated

Attachments

• SEMSM 10.jpg
    SEMSM 10.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 338
  • 2017-05-19 11.57.29.jpg
    2017-05-19 11.57.29.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 332
  • 2017-05-19 11.57.07.jpg
    2017-05-19 11.57.07.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 330
  • 2017-05-19 13.54.31.jpg
    2017-05-19 13.54.31.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 330
Hi Dean. Nice to see that BC car getting some sun! The hill light looks great. The 184 didn't quite fit the era. I'm sure the dual-tone sounds sweet. I had one on my '73 Lifeliner and loved it.

As for the Mars light...from the angle shown, hard to tell. Do you have room for a fender mount?

Not enough room for a fender mount without fabricating a stainless steel mounting plate.Will post a better picture later today from a better angle.

My opinion (since you're asking) is to place the Mars light on the roof. Either the high part, or the lower area in front of the ambulance sign, if there is a factory-type base out there that has the appropriate degree of angle to keep the light horizontal.

If you really want the light on the front clip, I would get a second one, and mount one on each side (either on the edge of the hood, or fender mount with a custom made base, as you mentioned.

Very nice rig, whatever you end up choosing!

Rig looks great, and I know you will not add lights until you have thought it through, but the hood spot makes the rig look balanced in my humble opinion,

I would not, personally, like the hood mount. My preference would be roof-mounted ahead of the ambulance sign.

Mr. Wilkinson - As the owner of another 1960s Mopar ambulance, yours is certainly one of my favorites, for sure.

I too like the Beacon Ray. It is certainly your car, but as you're soliciting opinions - mine is that the Mars light looks odd in either location. Agree with Kurt best place would be lower. I'd agree if you HAD to have it up front - fender mount or a balance of two would make best appearance to me. Regardless, I'm more a historical purist on all these things.

You have a Federal 66G exterior-mount siren. It's missing the rear chromed motor cover, which means the brushes and other internals are exposed at the rear. The Model 76 concealed mount variety had a metal band cover over the back. It's also missing the front cover. Both items are available from Kevin O'Connell, hopefully he'll be back at work soon.

Dean, glad to see you are having fun with it. I was able to look it over when it lived out here and thought is was such a great unique vehicle.

I will weigh in on the 888. Personally I would keep the warning equipment relatively simple and go without it. The roof marker lights I feel will get overpowered by the 888 given their size and fact they are not sealed beam, and will not be noticed. If I was to apply it my vote would be directly above the ambulance sign. Should still be enough height for the 175 to be seen just above it.

My responses to the comments above:

The CJ184 that was on it is period correct for the car.

The beacon is a Strat-O-Ray and was never advertised or marketed as a "hill climber" or "hill light". The one shown is a 1975-up version. Older original or period correct reproduction nameplates are available from several sources, as are correct mounting gaskets.

The siren shown under the hood is an exterior-mount 77G double tone with the front and rear covers removed.

A period correct 888 for this car would have a bulb and reflector, not a sealed beam as seen here. If an owner insisted on adding one of these, it would look better mounted on a Wayne-style contour bracket (depending on the contour required) over the cab.

That said...have fun with your car!

Last edited:
don't put that light on the hood. opening and closing will damage the hood or knock the bulb out. not to mention the pin riding in the track to give it the pattern. I never like the fender mounts but they were common and effective. now me. I would do two on either side in the roof below the ambulance sign. but then are the side markers winkers or steady burn?

there is center of the bumper in front of the grill.

and again there is the over kill thing. most of these car did not run a lot of lights

My vote is the roof but it looks great without it at all. I love that car. My second car I ever owned was a 68 Dodge Polara 4DS I loved that car.

rear view mirror light

The 888 on the hood is perfect to be seen in the the rear view mirror of the car in front of you..............its your vehicle........do what you want!!!!!!!!!!

There is only one solution.
The light blocks vision when mounted on the hood, and may cause the hood to fall on your head when checking the oil. Ergo, hood must be ruled out.

The light blocks the sign when mounted on the roof.
Ergo, light must not be mounted in front of sign.

The only solution is to acquire another ambulance to mount the light on.

By the way, the sign is misspelled.
It should read

B A M B U L A N C E

I think you'll damage the hood by mounting it there (in addition to the aforementioned damage to your head while working under the hood).

If it were me, I'd leave it off. Less is more sometimes.

Back