New Day and Age

The funeral industry is forever changing. My FD's now are using this framed canvas with a personal poem, slogan, or the decedents picture instead of a register book. What happens to the register book after the service.... no one knows for sure. Closet, under the bed, seen more and more families tucking them in to the casket as well. With the framed canvas they can take it home and place it on display. Families are loving it. Also, Oaklawn Chapel full service with Life Story. The man was a gardener so created what he loved to do even went out and purchased a lawn mower.

Attachments

• Register book.jpg
    Register book.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 403
  • garage.jpg
    garage.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 343
  • garage 1.jpg
    garage 1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 340
  • garage 2.jpg
    garage 2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 344
Funeral service goes through trends. A trend will start and will last about 3-4 years (even new caskets will do this, the family will not even know it is something new, they will sell like hotcakes, then suddenly stop selling...weird) and then move on to another trend.
Picture boards got big in the late 90's and still seem to have some favor, laminated obituaries were big for awhile but I know other fd's who stopped them years ago for lack of demand, suddenly everyone had to have a white dove release about 15 years ago - it even branched out enough that 2 or 3 providers were available - now they are all out of business and people don't care anymore, one funeral home locally uses the big afghans with the person's image on it - that seems to be fading in interest too, at one time - a company came along and said all fh's would have to be offering DNA retrieval/history - that lasted less than a year after some families got disappointing(and expensive) reports back, the list goes on and on.
Every trend that comes along I have to think hard whether it is worth an investment (i.e.: fingerprint jewelry - with an expensive handheld device to take the fingerprint) worth making, or one that I will spend money on only to put the device or capital expenditure on the shelf years later.
However, things ARE changing, you can look into changing religious (NOT starting a religious discussion PLEASE) facilities and formats where we do funerals to see things are constantly changing.

The only constant thing in the funeral industry, is that people keep dying to do business with them.

Back