1970 Cadillac Superior Ambulance

what was on the car when you received it? the picture has it sitting on 4 wheels.

were I agree with Paul that there is no substitute for the correct heavy duty wheel I will say that I have never seen a steel wheel that has failed. seen them bent usually by tire machines, a few sliding off the road. but I have never seen them comply fail. seen a lot of broken Mags through

We have for many years interchanged Pass. and Comm. wheels with no issues. Using other than Cadillac wheels although many interchange invites one problem Cadillac wheel covers in most cases attach to the outer edge of the rim while other do not. Most other interchangeable non CADILLAC rims will not accept Cadillac Wheel Discs. NEVER a wheel failure.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm always the person willing to roll the dice and safety is never a concern of mine lol (just honest and it's my nature). Until I can find the ones I need that are correct for the car, I'm going to be putting on a set of 1970 Fleetwood rims from someone in the NJ area that has them in stock.

Paul said, "Should a wheel fail, even at a slow speed, and the vehicle veer off to one side, who knows how many people might be injured and permanently maimed."

The implication of, "who knows how many people..." is that you may not be the only one affected by a failure, however rare, of an under-rated wheel. Respectfully, you may roll the dice for yourself and for your safety; you have that right. You do not have the right to "roll the dice" for anyone else.

The engineers that designed the vehicle thought that it should have a Commercial grade wheel. I think it would be wise to go with their recommendation.

There are Commercial grade wheels that come up on E-bay occasionally; I have purchased a few. There are also PCS members who would be willing to sell you what you need. I strongly encourage you to put safety before convenience.

That said, you may run under-rated wheels for years without any problems at all...it is possible and likely. You may also run under-rated wheels for 3/4 of a mile and wreck it into a van full of nuns and orphans. Personally, I feel that human decency dictates that we all follow the rules of safety with respect to how our behavior may impact another; that, and I have too much to lose to "roll the dice".

My St. Christopher watch over you and your awesome coach! :angel:

Tires?

Of course the next question is...what tires are you putting on ambulance?

Again, you can find many tires that will fit but not meet the needed weight rating.

As it goes, safety never takes a holiday so I'm in the camp that says go with the CC rims and the proper rated tires.

The engineers may have over-engineered the parts but there's a reason,. Safety!

Back