Neat strechers. Possibly WW II vintage.

Denny Shira - Deceased - 1951 - 2020

June 5, 1951 - January 29, 2020
These came to me courtesy of my future son in law. His company has been contracted to clean out the old Bell Aircraft plant in Niagara Falls.
For all of you Airplane enthusiasts,YES! This is the plant where the mighty P-39 Air Cobra was built. These were found in a storage area above the assembly floor. Probably have not seen the light of day in many years.

I'm thinking that they are pretty common. But, that having been said, they did come from Bell Aircraft Co.My Mom and Dad both worked there. and that is where they met. Shortly after December 7, 1941 my dad enlisted in the Navy. My Mom worked there until end of the war. She was a lead lady on the fuselage team.

When her being pregnant with my Brother prevented her from working on the assembly floor the plant manager assigned her to first aid duties. I imagine that my mom could have used these stretchers While working there. how cool would that be.

Yes, I tried to get Ryan to take me in for a tour. No dice! Requires a background check and special ID to get in. This is because it is on airport property, and it is attached to an active Air Force base,

Attachments

• WW II Strechers 012.jpg
    WW II Strechers 012.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 134
  • WW II Strechers 015.jpg
    WW II Strechers 015.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 134
A few more pics. I love how they used a lead seal on the wire for the tag

Attachments

• WW II Strechers 014.jpg
    WW II Strechers 014.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 103
  • WW II Strechers 018.jpg
    WW II Strechers 018.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 104
  • WW II Strechers 013.jpg
    WW II Strechers 013.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 101
The pictured Elwood label shows "Buffalo 2." Such numbers for large metro areas didn't get started until 1943. Thus, the stretcher dates from sometime after that.

Back