Chrome Plating and Alternatives

Wanted to once again get some input from everyone here. I have purchased a hood lip moulding for my 68. The seller, whom is a Cadillac club member I trust is pretty confident he can pack it tightly in a shipping tube and I got it for a pretty good price. Providing it arrives intact, my next step will be to get it re-plated as he said its in great shape, but the chrome was bad so it was sprayed with a powder coat.

I have contacted several shops that offer plating locally and so far I have been told that since the EPA has made it too expensive for many shops to do chrome plating they cant do it and they knew of no shops to recommend me in Oklahoma.

I really dont want to ship it, as I know even having it shipped to ME has risk involved due to the shape of the moulding. So I dont want to take that risk twice.

I looked into Nickel plating as an alternative but it looks like the color will be slightly off. I also looked at Eastwood single stage chrome reflective paint, but I havent really decided on what path in going to take.

My big question is, in your experiences, do you consider Nickel plating to be a viable alternative or is "go chrome or go home", I'm iffy on the paint, I believe Ed mentioned it was kinda blue-ish. Are there any other methods you have used to achieve a close to chrome finish when chrome plating was not available as an option?

Heres the paint:
https://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-single-stage-reflective-chrome.html

Some one is feeding you a line of bull. First of all if it gets to you Ok it will get to the plater and back to you ok. If it gets broken it can be fixed. You were missing half of yours thats why it broke. The second step in chrome plating is nickle. First it striped to base metal then copper plated then nickel plated then chrome plated. Chrome is a clear metal that is vary hard. Any shop doing nickel will be doing chrome also. It takes the same chemicals to do both. As i told you on face book it will cost you just south of 200 bucks to do it either way. First thing you need to do on that 69 is replace the damaged hood stops and adjust them so that the hood rests even on them and doesn't flex. Then when you get the molding put it on and see if it looks Ok. The stop asking the guys that say you can't use your internet yellow pages and find a shop doing plating close to you. If not I know of a few. But first thing first adjust the hood.

Some one is feeding you a line of bull. First of all if it gets to you Ok it will get to the plater and back to you ok. If it gets broken it can be fixed. You were missing half of yours thats why it broke. The second step in chrome plating is nickle. First it striped to base metal then copper plated then nickel plated then chrome plated. Chrome is a clear metal that is vary hard. Any shop doing nickel will be doing chrome also. It takes the same chemicals to do both. As i told you on face book it will cost you just south of 200 bucks to do it either way. First thing you need to do on that 69 is replace the damaged hood stops and adjust them so that the hood rests even on them and doesn't flex. Then when you get the molding put it on and see if it looks Ok. The stop asking the guys that say you can't use your internet yellow pages and find a shop doing plating close to you. If not I know of a few. But first thing first adjust the hood.

Thanks for the info. I have adjusted the front hood stops already so its level now. I am still sending out inquiries about plating, and asked my local cadillac club chapter about chrome shops. They also told me they havent been able to find any, however i was given a lead that someone heard of a shop in the Haskell area (no name given though), so im going to be searching that area and contacting shops until i find this mystery shop.

Well my lead was correct. I confirmed that Sparks Plating in Haskell, Oklahoma does in fact do Chrome plating. But only for pot metal he said. Quoted me $75 (without seeing the part)

The $75.00 sounds like a good deal in todays world. BUT and its a BIG BUT if the molding looks fair leave it alone use as is. It is a long spindly piece of die cast old and brittle the more it is moved around and fooled with the more likely it is to break. Until you have turned your Coach into a show winner and the molding is the only thing you lose points for put it on and enjoy it. The chrome shop could snap it just getting it ready to plate.

Back