Lexan

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on Lexan. It was recommended to me that if I dont have any luck finding a suitable MM donor that having Lexan cut will work. I am worried about my passenger window. It has so many cracks going every direction (for the length of the window) that im afraid one day im going to hit a bump and its going to fall out.

I was also warned that Lexan does scratch easily.

I just wanted to see what experiences you all have with Lexan, why you would or would not use it and if you consider it a worthwhile investment or not.

Blake, I am sorry about your window. Under no circumstance would I recommend Lexan for the replacement, for a couple of reasons that I can think of, for example; scratching, as you said and I would also think it would not be safe in an accident. Look harder for a replacement window, it is out there. Have you tried C W Coach? I think Carl would have one, most likely. Good luck!

Blake, I am sorry about your window. Under no circumstance would I recommend Lexan for the replacement, for a couple of reasons that I can think of, for example; scratching, as you said and I would also think it would not be safe in an accident. Look harder for a replacement window, it is out there. Have you tried C W Coach? I think Carl would have one, most likely. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I will check with C W. Side window is most important. But I eventually need the windshield and rear passenger side too.

yes if was tempered it would be all over the floor by now. so no big deal. any glass shop can cut you one using the old glass for a pattern. the windshield is arable new. I have that nags number someplace . you get one from Pinkerton if the glass shop can't find one. no need for plastic in any thing but the back glass on that one. the rear door glass are hard to find.

If you get a glass shop that will cut the glass you bring go to a local yard that has old school busses with flat glass two piece windshields cut the rubber pull the glass. Take to glass shop they cut to pattern from your glass. Save many $$$

If you get a glass shop that will cut the glass you bring go to a local yard that has old school busses with flat glass two piece windshields cut the rubber pull the glass. Take to glass shop they cut to pattern from your glass. Save many $$$

Great advice, i had no idea this was even a possibility. I had called a local glass place a year ago and asked about the cost of custom cutting glass. He gave me some crazy quote in the 10,000's for the first piece.

yes if was tempered it would be all over the floor by now. so no big deal. any glass shop can cut you one using the old glass for a pattern. the windshield is arable new. I have that nags number someplace . you get one from Pinkerton if the glass shop can't find one. no need for plastic in any thing but the back glass on that one. the rear door glass are hard to find.

I want to say it was DW-678. Theres one on Metro Parts for $784, and thats before freight cost. I'm still planning on taking some days off work soon and hitting some local salvage yards, just hard to get time off work.

A fresh piece of safety plate glass isn't that expensive. I had to pay to replace the drives door glass on the 1963 Chrysler, and I believe it was about $300 for the glass and the installation. Also, it was covered under the insurance glass coverage, with no deductible.

Man that is some thing i do not expect to pay that much to get all the side glass in my 53 cut. The windshield is around 500 from the Ohio company shipping at 200.

What you need to do is check around find you a independent body shop that is interested in working on your car. Explain to them up front that you will need to do the car one thing at a time. And decide on your list of priorites. Then do them as you can. If your unable to do it your self. This is your only option to get the car into shape. The same with the mechanical side. Then every time it comes out of a shop it better then when it went in. Explain that your goal it to keep the car origional. After all it worked fine in 68. You put it back origional it will work fine in 2019.

For glass work, I would prefer a glass company that has experienced old timers that know how to work on older car window regulators, than a body shop, where the average age in 20's to 40's, since body work is a young mans job, and "old" men work at too slow a pace to keep up. I know of a guy in South Dakota that used to move at a lightning pace, but today, it is more like a snails pace. Still gets the work done, but what he used to do in a day, now takes several days to complete, with naps in between!!! He's been working on the same Pontiac for what seems like "forever"...:D

Will were i live the there are few young guys working. They all left for the big city were they were told all the money was. Now there working like crazy on gravy jobs trying to get enough money to come home. On my first job in my senior year taking decka they cut glass in the body/mechanic shop. The first one I cut sanded and put in was a wing window out of a late 40 chevy. I still got my glass cutter. What you mean taking forever i got the hood in primer all ready only had it on a week.

Work

For glass work, I would prefer a glass company that has experienced old timers that know how to work on older car window regulators, than a body shop, where the average age in 20's to 40's, since body work is a young mans job, and "old" men work at too slow a pace to keep up. I know of a guy in South Dakota that used to move at a lightning pace, but today, it is more like a snails pace. Still gets the work done, but what he used to do in a day, now takes several days to complete, with naps in between!!! He's been working on the same Pontiac for what seems like "forever"...:D

Sounds just like some old guy in CT putting a ambulance back together.

Back