Micor Radio Identification

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
I got these radios from the ambulance service that used to own my 1969 Miller Meteor Cadillac ambulance. These are the radios that they removed when it came out of service, but I don't know if they were what was originally installed in the car when it went into service. There are no dates stamped on the radios, and I would like to get an idea of there vintage. thanks Paul

Attachments

• MVC-002L.jpg
    MVC-002L.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 214
  • MVC-003L.jpg
    MVC-003L.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 213
Motorola Micor Motran

Paul
I have the identical set up that came in my 70 Rescuer,the Motorola Dialer,the micor and telephone set up....
I also remember having to take our 70-73 ambulances (Superior Ambulance Service) in to the local Motorola installer so they could install the Micors ,I distinctly remember that since I was the one who scheduled all 14 of our ambulances...that was summer of 1974.

Motorola MICOR Radios

I believe Motorola first began producing their MICOR line in late 1970 or so ... with the following availability date progression: Low Band models in October 1971... VHF in mid-1972... UHF in 1974... 800 MHz in 1978.

This photo was our new micor radio in a 1972 CB Olds Seville Amb if that helps. I don't remember it coming out any earlier, but certainly could have been added to the older rigs that were kept longer.

Attachments

• scan0082.jpg
    scan0082.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 182
there is one piece at the bottom that screwed to the cabinet, and then the rest of the pieces that I have pictured connect to this one base. I am looking for the base. I don't have the car here to take a picture of what the "harp" looks like, looking up from the bottom, but next month, when it comes out of hibernation, I will post a picture.

What did you do with them??

I never had them. The radios, and other items, such as the siren, etc., were removed by the Squad when they decommissioned and sold the ambulance. I got these items back by asking the Squad if they still had them. They in turn looked in the attic of the Squad building, and sent me what they had in exchange for a donation. I did ask about the mountings, however, they said that they sent everything that they found. This doesn't mean that the small parts might still be there, but getting them to look further has been fruitless.

Why don't you use the ones that are on the the ones pictured?

The bottom mount isn't pictured, since it isn't there. The only thing that I do have is the holes in the top of the cabinet where it was mounted. My guess is that since the unit was installed from the bottom up, and removed from the top down, they didn't put everything back together the way it was removed.

I saw some in front of the attendant seat, possibly ?

Where is this picture of the missing part(s) that you reference? :confused:

So they had a fluted base that married up to the center hole in the bracket? The one I took from the yard out of a 78 van was just bolted threw the bracket. There was no base. So I put it into the 72 the same way only reversed the bracket so it hung under the dash not up from the floor. I wondered about it at the time why the shape. But used what I had to get it in

Back