2.21.25 funeral procession

A quite old photo album was purchased via eBay that yielded several dozen 2"x3" photographs taken by a University of Michigan student between 1923-1925. (I had asked the owner for higher resolution copies but alas this was all he scanned.) Shown is Dr. Marion LeRoy Burton's funeral procession. The University of Michigan president had succumbed to complications from a heart attack (suffered four months earlier) on 2.18.25. Service was held at the President's House at 2pm on 2.21.25. Afterward is where images begin. Album owner believes that Muehlig Funeral Chapel in Ann Arbor handled services for some reason although that is not specified anywhere (on pictures or online). Muehlig Funeral Chapel exists today but is no longer owned by the same family.

2239535413_b041966df3_o.jpg

2239509795_ce7ce0da40_o.jpg

Ah - first glimpse of the hearse. Should provide enough detail to figure out coach builder.

2239465205_300311108b_o.jpg

Looks like lead car was a brand new Packard. The photographer on right (note tripod) must have snapped ensuing shot.

2234018984_0cc9b91e51_o.jpg

Having perused more '23-'25 cars than I care to admit, I do not feel this hearse is a Ford, Lincoln, Dodge, Chrysler, Cunningham, or Packard in that year range. Cadillac appears a little closer however fenders do not match up. Heights of headlamps & frame horns, lack of bumper, radiator silhouette, and top of front fender length/radius combined with inner fender shape should all be solid indicators of make, which is still eluding me. Ideas?

2233205379_73ec698788_o.jpg

Here's a video from The Detroit Motor News that may provide additional hearse insight. Cool seeing it move around, especially abruptly taking off once casket has been removed at cemetery. (There is some sort of weird optical illusion going on with hearse at cemetery. It appears 2/3 size even after considering that people are walking uphill in foreground. Pause film right before hearse takes off and compare height with close up rear photo above, significant difference.) Besides, proposing scenarios as to why a peculiar man is running next to the pallbearers can be fun!

http://www.lib.wayne.edu/resources/digital/vmc_newsreels/video.php?vid=6B_10

Intriguing stuff - that's for sure. :)

A quite old photo album was purchased via eBay that yielded several dozen 2"x3" photographs taken by a University of Michigan student between 1923-1925. (I had asked the owner for higher resolution copies but alas this was all he scanned.) Shown is Dr. Marion LeRoy Burton's funeral procession. The University of Michigan president had succumbed to complications from a heart attack (suffered four months earlier) on 2.18.25. Service was held at the President's House at 2pm on 2.21.25. Afterward is where images begin. Album owner believes that Muehlig Funeral Chapel in Ann Arbor handled services for some reason although that is not specified anywhere (on pictures or online). Muehlig Funeral Chapel exists today but is no longer owned by the same family.

2239535413_b041966df3_o.jpg

2239509795_ce7ce0da40_o.jpg

Ah - first glimpse of the hearse. Should provide enough detail to figure out coach builder.

2239465205_300311108b_o.jpg

Looks like lead car was a brand new Packard. The photographer on right (note tripod) must have snapped ensuing shot.

2234018984_0cc9b91e51_o.jpg

Having perused more '23-'25 cars than I care to admit, I do not feel this hearse is a Ford, Lincoln, Dodge, Chrysler, Cunningham, or Packard in that year range. Cadillac appears a little closer however fenders do not match up. Heights of headlamps & frame horns, lack of bumper, radiator silhouette, and top of front fender length/radius combined with inner fender shape should all be solid indicators of make, which is still eluding me. Ideas?

2233205379_73ec698788_o.jpg

Here's a video from The Detroit Motor News that may provide additional hearse insight. Cool seeing it move around, especially abruptly taking off once casket has been removed at cemetery. (There is some sort of weird optical illusion going on with hearse at cemetery. It appears 2/3 size even after considering that people are walking uphill in foreground. Pause film right before hearse takes off and compare height with close up rear photo above, significant difference.) Besides, proposing scenarios as to why a peculiar man is running next to the pallbearers can be fun!

http://www.lib.wayne.edu/resources/digital/vmc_newsreels/video.php?vid=6B_10

Intriguing stuff - that's for sure. :)

Its always strange to see how tall and narrow those old hearses are. That has to be over 8 feet. Glad I dont have to wash or wax the top of that.

The hearse appears to be a Meteor and, is perhaps a carved panel Model 80 but, was not a new car at te time of the funeral. Looks like a 1917-1919 model year car. These were very tall and narrow vehicles. Thanks for sharing these great old images.

Back