anti freeze mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Stevens

PCS Member
Help!! The short stroy is I had a jug (1 gallon) of anti freeze behind the seat in my coach. I had just reinstalled the radiator and thought it was a good idea to carry the jug until I was certain all the air was out of the system. The jug rubbed against my jack. It leaked about 3/4 of the contents onto my carpeted floor behind the seat. The wet side of my shop vac picked up most of the mess. I have used soapy water to try and dilute the anti freeze. Then used the shop vac some more. Right now I have a slightly damp carpet that does not reek of anti freeze. When you rub the carpet there is an oily feel to your fingers. Any tips on what else I should do will be appreciated. If taking out the carpet is the only option that is something I can do. But not this weekend.
Thank you for your help.
Mike

The oily feeling of the anti freeze is the ethylene glycol and it is difficult to get out completely. I suggest that you place dry terry towels on the carpet to wick out the anti freeze. Dish-washing detergent is the best to break down this chemical. Then, wash the towels, and allow them to dry. Use a second set of towels to keep wicking out the anti freeze. If the carpet is black, then you can try using newspaper. If the carpet dries, then moisten it a little so you keep wicking out the anti freeze. In the end, you might just have to remove the carpet, and clean the underside of the floor first, then remove the jute backing from the carpet in the effected area, and replace with new jute. New jute can be had at any salvage yard from another cars carpet. With the jute removed, then it should be easy to shampoo out the last remnants of the anti freeze. If there are pets in the household, keep in mind that anti freeze has a sweet taste to it, and is fatal if ingested by humans or animals. It is also toxic to your septic system. If you are on a municipal water supply, most remove it before putting the waste water back into the water supply. Check with your waste water treatment plant to know for certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back