"Secret Project"- 1971 Superior-Cadillac 51 Stony Point Ambulance Corps

Nicholas Studer

PCS Elected Director 2022-2025
Some may remember the 1971 Superior-Cadillac 51 ambulance that was for sale last year in Florida. http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15129 This ambulance served Stony Point, NY - about an hour south of Rhinecliff, NY, just south of West Point and north of NYC.

Long story short - I was in Florida on business and saw the car as an interesting project for me to work on myself while our 1970 Cotner-Bevington was in the shop. The seller was an absolute gentleman and a pleasure to work with. We came to an arrangement that was very fair to both of us. Not long after this arrived, I purchased the 1963 Pinner-Chrysler RCFD ambulance and thus haven't talked about this vehicle since I wished to focus my attention on it.

Another PCS Member had visited the car and been unable to start it. This was due to the fact there was no gas in the gas tank... The car started right up with 5 gallons of premium. I dropped the tank and had it boiled and relined at a local radiator shop. I replaced all of the fluids and the transmission gasket. There's an exhaust leak somewhere (in addition to the regulator being ripped off the rear) - but it runs well. Not only that, it drives and stops as well just fine too. The previous owner had replaced the pads/shoes before parking it, I replaced the master cylinder as well.

So much for my plan of having a lot to do - I'm no body man and that's most of what's left! It's original Zodiac Blue over Cotillion White (just dirt you see that's now cleaned off the pictured label.) It doesn't appear to me to be repainted. Very unusual in blue - and I love the hand-lettering on the back. It's faded, but had a big "646" on the roof as well. There's rust on the front hood lip, as well as both rear fenders. The add-on stretched steel rear step is pretty rusty, and there's some corrosion to the rear bumper as well on the left primarily. Otherwise fairly solid, especially for a NY car. Right passenger floorboard is rather crumbly in a few spots. Bottom of the rear door too. Ed Renstrom visited the car recently and I was surprised that he thought it better shape than I did. The passenger door handle that was loose is the result of the retaining clips falling off inside - not corrosion. Some mild surface rust, mostly on the right side as this side faced out from the carport. All the trim and even Superior badging still there! Tires are pretty much shot - two of them are vintage 8.90x15 tires white-walls. Rubber weatherstrip pretty much all bad, I was able to get a replacement. All the hubcaps there too...

Absolutely amazing to me that the vehicle survived basically intact from when it was taken out of service and purchased by the previous owner, who saw it sitting on the side of the road at a Rockland County EMS academy. Even a wide assortment of embossed labels are still there. Motrac low-band and Micor hi-band VHF (with HEAR system rotary and push-button dialer) is still present and all works! Mic cables may need to be replaced up front - luckily our local Motorola shop can do that. Original Model 26 cot, scoop, folding backboard, Ambu Air-Shields Resuscitator, and bedpan with SPAC markings still present. The unit is set up to accept an M-cylinder and has piped oxygen going to the top of the cabinet. Came with the main and 2 E oxygen cylinders when purchased in the 1980s, but the seller disposed of them when NYS vehicle inspector wouldn't sign off unless they were gone. Cabinet in great condition - even the white rubber bumper on top cleaned up wel. Spare tire and cover with jack in excellent shape. Interior is an absolutely gorgeous patterned blue and is in great shape with the exception of one missing Vani-shade in the back and a hole in the headliner from the radio install. The diamond-brick pattern linoleum is unfortunately a little worse for wear. The previous owner had some samples in the back when he was considering putting new flooring in (You can see them sitting on the floor in a few photos) - thankfully he didn't and the samples serve padding in a box now! :) Interestingly, the car has both front and rear A/C... It also has the red/yellow/green patient condition lights in the front and rear. Star of Life decals are on both rear windows over top of the original graphics which are in great shape. Rear door on the bench seat needs to be re-screwed in place... All of these photos were taken when I received it and before cleaning it up.

Lighting wise there is a MARS beacon on the roof which doesn't seem to work at the moment (may just be a fuse, frankly haven't had time to check), side marker lights, plus front/rear tunnels of course. Dual spotlights placed up into the roof of the cab. Federal Interceptor with SA-24 speaker in the grille with great sound. Front sign lights up nicely.

What it's doing now and our plans? Well, it lives inside and gets started/shifted weekly. I'm leaning towards the 1963 GMC rescue ambulance from Norfolk FD being next in line after our C/B is hopefully finished this year. I believe that places may place it around 2-4 years out. I've had thoughts of letting it go to someone with less projects who could start now - but it's surely not burning a hole in my garage! :) (PM/e-mail me with SERIOUS interest only) I'm glad I was able to "save" it - such a worthy car.

Attachments

• IMG_5210.jpg
    IMG_5210.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 979
  • IMG_5269.jpg
    IMG_5269.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 942
  • IMG_5266.jpg
    IMG_5266.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 986
  • IMG_5220.jpg
    IMG_5220.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,004
  • IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,035
  • IMG_5251.jpg
    IMG_5251.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 908
  • 2014-08-21 13.24.37.jpg
    2014-08-21 13.24.37.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,035
  • IMG_1149.jpg
    IMG_1149.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,019
Last edited:
Congratulations Nicholas! It looks like you have really put together an interesting collection of ambulances. I really like this one, what a beauty she will be!

................. There's an exhaust leak somewhere (in addition to the regulator being ripped off the rear) - but it runs well. ................

I believe that you meant the "resonator". The resonator is the last sound containment part in an exhaust system. It is usually used the on more expensive models to make the exhaust whisper quiet.

Those '71/'72 & '73/'74 Cadillac hoods always had rust issues above the battery/batteries. Extremely difficult to find a good used one without the rust issues. You may be able to find a good one in the Southwest.

Great rig! Love the original color combo! Glad to see that it ended up in the hands of a collector that will restore it correctly and keep it 100% original!

Mr. Martin: It's rather too many ambulances at the moment - there are 4 between this, the 1970 C/B-Oldsmobile, the 1963 Pinner-Chrysler, and the 1963 GMC-?Gerstenslager. While the Cotington should be pretty much done this year - the rest all need something. The GMC is maybe 50% done, and the Pinner-Chrysler is complete/running and just plain too good a shape to jump on full disassembly... Now you can see where I might want to cut down a bit - but it's just such a nice ambulance! :) They really went all out on it - and so many of these things seem to have been molested quite a bit before they make it to the next owner. I never meant to have such a focus on small town New York ambulances either!

Paul: You're right - as usual. :p

Mr. Arends: Yes indeed - it's dual batteries with the switch. It's interesting - just corroded at the forward edge all the way across. I think it's from water dripping around the hood edge while it was parked facing out in a carport for 10 years. Not so much over top of the batteries. Otherwise it's in decent shape. Kind of a shame - maybe someone can fix it like my shop did with my Cotington's windshield area - but maybe not.

Attachments

• IMG_5308.jpg
    IMG_5308.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 969
all the caddies in those years had rust issues. most likely from condensation forming inside and running down with no place to go threw, so it made one. without looking hard at it the fenders over the tops of the wheel opening and the back side were they all go is through I would guess a front clip if you could find one. the rest of the rig is got the normal surface rust showing up that may or may not be threw bottoms of the doors mainly. defentle a salt country rig. I'm like Nick it looks to be all original not even one repaint. but she has all the equipment still in it straight panels and good top. the interior looked like a half day cleaning and it would be good to go. I was tempted to ask how much when I saw it. I like those years but I still want to get my 53 done. had it been a low top or even a combo I'm afraid I would have jumped.

some one looking for a easy project car might consider it. it sits just over there.

Attachments

• IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 953
...the interior looked like a half day cleaning and it would be good to go...

I must protest! The Mrs. and I scrubbed that interior more than a bit. It's stuffed with the vast array of parts and whatnot that were strewn inside of it. Boxed up now in cardboard so they don't tear up the interior. The outside is covered with dust again though and makes it look low-rent... Plan is to pull out the pictured 1963 GMC that is blocking it in, drive the Superior-Cadillac out, then bring the GMC back in and put it on wheel dollies. Push it over to the side - then the Superior can get in and out. At that time - the Superior will enjoy a bath and be covered with another glorious surplus parachute I just bought for it. :)

................ Plan is to pull out the pictured 1963 GMC that is blocking it in, drive the Superior-Cadillac out, then bring the GMC back in and put it on wheel dollies. Push it over to the side - then the Superior can get in and out. At that time - the Superior will enjoy a bath and be covered with another glorious surplus parachute I just bought for it. :)

You are going to need some very expensive wheel dollies, because the run of the mill inexpensive ones will not handle the weight of the vehicle. I have a set of 4 inexpensive ($125 +-) ones that I put under the Corvair when I store it in the winter, and even a lightweight vehicle like that is almost more than they can handle. I suggest that you consider a set of 4 [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Go-Jack-6200-Lb-Capacity-GJ-6200/dp/B000VNFYXO/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1436106112&sr=1-2&keywords=go+jak"]GoJack's[/ame] . The set of 4 will set you back about $1000 + -!!!! Anything less, you are wasting your money.

Just watch for a solid, sun-baked Arizona or New Mexico '71 Cadillac Coupe deVille or Calais to sacrifice itself to the preservation of your rig. That is always the best way to go and you are not far from that part of the world so shipping will be inexpensive. I am sure that there are still a lot of them laying around out there yet.

You Never Have Too Many Right?

Nicholas, I am at five, at one point I had six. Now I am working on sprucing up what I have. You will know when you have enough of them, you run out of garages you can rent.

Nicholas, I am at five, at one point I had six. Now I am working on sprucing up what I have. You will know when you have enough of them, you run out of garages you can rent.

now you know why you have that last one. but if someone is really interested in this car I do know were a rust free front clip is. not really cheap but will worth the money.

Just curious - anyone know what the odd metal connector is on the side of the cabinet?

Attachments

• IMG_7698.jpg
    IMG_7698.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 257
Looks like a "Universal" cigarette Lighter plug used for any number of things scanner,light,anything that you could plug into a dash mounted plug.
I have one in the glovebox of my 70 Superior....mounted by previous owner to charge his portable Motorola radio.....;)

Back