Barn Finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Karsnia - Deceased - 1971-2020

September 12, 1971 - November 2, 2020
You know the old saying, "the hunt is more fun than the kill"?

While I'm quite satisfied with my three "kills", I always enjoy a good hunt. Car hunt, that is. I'm one of those car guys who loves to see what's hidden away in a barn (or stashed behind it.) While they're getting fewer and further between, I don't believe all the good ones are gone. They still turn up from time to time...

Here are a few photos of our 1975 Lifeliner when I laid eyes on her in August of 2003. While I'd seen...and ridden in...her before, she'd been hibernating in a pole barn since 1990, shortly after being retired from service. She remained in this spot until the spring of 2004 when we had her flatbedded to our mechanic for some serious attention prior to first start up.

Anybody have a good "barn find" to share?

Attachments

• P1010049.jpg
    P1010049.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 501
  • P1010057.jpg
    P1010057.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 618
  • P1010059.jpg
    P1010059.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 521
Tony, If I can ask. What was the rig on the driverside of your Lifeliner and what became of it, if you know? That barn looks like it would cause sensory overload just walking into it.

I figured out the the one to the right is around a 1953 National Chevrolet from the shape of the rear quarter panel, and the chrome trim at the bottom of the quarter. What has me curious is what the car on the left is. I know that it is between a 1960 - 1964 GM product because of the windshield shape at the front door edge. I would love to have either one of those other two cars, but given a choice, I think that I would go with the 1960's model if it were a straight ambulance. Below are pictures of a National Ambulance that I had on my hard drive..

Attachments

• National2.jpg
    National2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 480
  • National3.jpg
    National3.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 486
I don't think that is a chevy. the side panels look wrong and the trim i snot right . they only used that glass shape in 59-60. but in those years ford had one that did not go back as far as GM. with the tron on the belt line and the flat fenders I say it's a Mercury

Attachments

• tony's lifeliner.jpg
    tony's lifeliner.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 479
I figured out the the one to the right is around a 1953 National Chevrolet

Did a little checking and it is correct on the 1953 but believe it is a Pontiac. Those are Pontiac hubcaps and the fact that there is the full length SS side trim. Pontiac was always dressier than Chevrolet in that regard. Reason I was wondering about the coachmaker is beacuase of the window graphics. Those are not typical National.

(sample pic)
http://classiccars.com/Uploads/Classifieds/383152.jpg

Sensory Overload Indeed!

Those cars are / were part of the John Ringdahl collection. As you can see by Cary's post, flanking the Lifeliner was the '59 National Buick ambulance (originally from Lafayette, MN) and the '53 Acme Pontiac ambulance (originally from upstate Michigan.) The Buick has since been sold to a collector in California. The Pontiac is still there but wasn't for sale last time I spoke to John. The same barn still holds two other "not for sale" cars; a 1958 Miller-Meteor Cadillac and a 1958 Memphian DeSoto, both combinations.

with the light on the car it makes the panel look flatter then it is. but yes one of the bat mobile Buick's it is. the wing window does shout GM. I cleaned up the picture a little more. enough to see the wheel cover. i would like to see what the car looks like now. sometimes it a disappointment. a man keeps a car for 20 some years only to feel it to someone who wants to restore it but thing get in there way and it go to H in a couple years. but if put back together that Buick is one different nice car

I sure would have loved to have been able to buy the Buick. :mad: 1959 is one of my favorite years..

Attachments

• buickamb.jpg
    buickamb.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 276
'53 Pontiac / ACME

Cary, Thanks for the addional pics showing Pontiac &
Tony, for the info re: coachmaker ACME (I always forget about them). :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back