Henry Bros coachbuilders

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I worked at an SCI firm in the late 80s we had a couple of el-cheapo 6 door cars built on the RWD Buick LeSabre chassis, they were 84 or 85 models. Anyway,, they were not from one of the big coachbuilders, I seem to recall that they were Henry Brothers cars. The only reference I have seen to the firm is that the Henry's started at Cotner Bevington, went off on their own in Manila Arkansas at some point. Anybody knew more?

As an aside, we routinely got our butts chewed by families about these cars: they had base-model cloth upholstery, very little chrome trim, and one even had crank windows. They were expecting a Cadillac and got a stripped-down Buick instead. I had one guy ask why in the world they couldn't have at least started with a Park Avenue, not a LeSabre?!

They still use Buick Lacrosse lead cars locally, but at least all of their coaches are S&S Lincolns with a big oval "Dignity" sign etched in the windows on the sides. I haven't seen any of their limo's lately, I'm not sure they even have any, they may just rent.

Sci = dignity?

One of our local FH's here in Escondido now has recently added "Dignity" below their original name...is that the new "infamous" SCI? MM

As a rule "Dignity" denotes SCI's rebranding, trying to be the McDonald's of funeral care. I seem to recall that some indy FH's can become affiliated with the Dignity brand for advertising support and perhaps preneed and aftercare assistance, without actually selling the business to SCI. Someone on the coffintalk forum put up pics of his FH, with a Dignity sign, but said they are not owned by SCI, just affiliated somehow.

Dignity

Let me say up front that I am not in the business. Over my years on earth I have had occasion to deal with several FHs. All were operated with the utmost respect and Dignity toward the families and visitors they were serving. I never quite understood SCIs need to use the word in their advertising or on their coaches. But maybe there is more to it than I see or understand.
Mike

Henry Brothers

I put Google to the test of finding the Henry Brothers. One of the 2 sites I found said they learned their craft at the Comet coach company in Memphis, Tenn. Then went out on their own.
Mike

I think coachbuilt.com made a reference to that, somewhere else I found a reference to C-B, but I think Comet and C-B were the same company, FoMoCo bought the Comet name rights in 1959 or so for their new compact Mercury car.

Comet and Ford

Dave is right about Ford buying the rights to the name Comet for their new car. I know Jeremy has mentioned this before. Coachbuilt.com seems to list anyone that ever built a hearse.
Mike

the 1960 year was the first year for the then reformed comet companies. I'm not to sure when they came under the Wayn banner but guess it was at this time. they split after selling the name to Ford and one set of partners stayed in Ten. to form Memphis coach. the others to Ark to form C/B. I would guess that the Henry Bros. started up at the same time. Mr Cotner and Mr Bevington stayed with Wayn until they sold there shares to start the American Quality Coach Corp. sometime in the early 70's. the factory keep the CB name tell they closed after the 1975 model. to be honest I thinK the Economy coach came out the of the Comet split to but would have to look that up.

Let us not forget Joseph Pinner. He was also one of the owners of Comet Coach that got some of the buy out money, and started his own company............. Pinner Coach of Mississippi, with offices in Memphis Tennessee.

yes Pinner was the other one I was thinking off. ford must have really wanted that name. my little brother had one, a 61 he referred to as the Vomit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back