TPC 187 Arrived Today!

I read mine cover to cover, Bill, and I can attest that you have some pleasurable reading in your future! This was a magnificent issue, chock full of great information not to mention tasty eye-candy!

Please post the date that your magazine arrives, and the state or country you live in. I am particularly interested in how long it takes for our out of country members to receive the magazine. I would hate to think that our foreign members wouldn't have enough time to receive their ballot, and to return it, in time for it to be counted. Traditionally, the Canadian members have almost always complained that the magazine doesn't make it to them for weeks after everyone else in the U.S. has received theirs. Thanks Paul

Mine arrived in Massachusetts October 28, 2020

This issue of TPC inspired me to decide I would love for my first pro-car to be a 1966 C/B (Olds of course), low-top ambulance. I would configure it into an identical twin to Robert Shepard's in service car that he has posted previously.
All white, twin spotlights (both with clear lenses), dual red beacon rays up front with a CA steady-burn warning lamp between them, and a single amber beacon ray out back. And the icing on the cake, a big Federal Q mounted on the right front fender!!! Of course I'd need to consult with Robert for additional details, so that it could appear as authentic as possible.

This issue of TPC inspired me to decide I would love for my first pro-car to be a 1966 C/B (Olds of course), low-top ambulance. I would configure it into an identical twin to Robert Shepard's in service car that he has posted previously.
All white, twin spotlights (both with clear lenses), dual red beacon rays up front with a CA steady-burn warning lamp between them, and a single amber beacon ray out back. And the icing on the cake, a big Federal Q mounted on the right front fender!!! Of course I'd need to consult with Robert for additional details, so that it could appear as authentic as possible.

The only thing that I can contribute to your fantasy is this front shot of a '66 C/B from Fargo-Moorhead Ambulance, which served Fargo, ND and Moorhead, MN. The twin spot lights and Q match up to what you are looking for, but not much else. I never did understand the CA steady-burn light requirement. Seems it would have washed out most of the other emergency lighting.

Attachments

• FM CB.jpg
    FM CB.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 65
What a beauty Terry, thank you for sharing! I have noticed in the early tv shows produced in CA (CHiPs, EMERGENCY!) that if a unit had front tunnels, they would just have the right tunnel do a steady-burn, and the left would blink. Ponch And Jon's motorcycles did that also with their front reds. Squad 51 had a single steady-burn front-facing light in its Twinsonic; Engine 51 had a steady-burn front light. I don't think the ambulances featured on either show had steady-burns though, at least not that I can recall. I do recall EMERGENCY!'s modular with the 4 rotators on the box featured BLUE front tunnels though, which was unheard of for ambulances in CA. I think nearly all CA ambulances featured in 1970s tv shows sported a combo of reds and ambers. As a kid I used to think they looked delicious; the reds were wild cherry, and the ambers were orange flavored.

Robert Shepard recently remarked on our Facebook group that "...the amber is visible from a greater distance. Red blends in too much with tail and brake lights. That amber beacon saved my bacon on many highway crash scenes." (hope it's ok that I quoted you Robert).

Back