Richard Brothers Briarean

Dave Lisiecki

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
Early Richard Brothers Briarean Photo

Perhaps the earliest reference and photo I have found to the Briarean line.
"The State Journal" November 21, 1957. (I'm still trying to find the history on my '60 Briarean, sold in Nebraska City, possibly ended up in Lincoln and an Anthony L. Davis)

Attachments

• Lansing_State_Journal_Thu__Nov_21__1957_ (1).jpg
    Lansing_State_Journal_Thu__Nov_21__1957_ (1).jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
It makes me wonder what lights they originally used for the tunnel lights, they seem like Imperial taillights to me, but I know for sure by 60-61 they utilized 58 Chevy Impala taillights. Raised roof was stamped steel.

Attachments

• Briarean ad - EDIT Page 001.jpg
    Briarean ad - EDIT Page 001.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Thanks for posting this Briarean article and literature. I think they are good looking cars. But, you have to love the misinformation in the article, how in the world could it become a regular station wagon again?

As the interier was not modified that much removing the special equipment, covering the front lights and its a high top fishing rig. Thats why so few of them survived. The ended up as second cars drove into the ground.

As the interier was not modified that much removing the special equipment, covering the front lights and its a high top fishing rig. Thats why so few of them survived. The ended up as second cars drove into the ground.

Doesn't sound like a family-friendly plan to me, you?

The emergency light pods were only screwed to the roof, so removal was quite easy.

My(former) '61 Richards Bros. Briarean New Yorker Town & Country was stock Town & Country 6-pass. wagon, on the interior. Not sure if the split-back second row seat was stock on the 6-pass. wagons though.

Chrysler split the seats for the conversion. Not rocket science for the car manufacturers to figure out how to do it.

I'm missing your point. It sounds like a wagon with a little extra head room. Full back seat full front seat standard interer. 4 doors that open and close. What would be missing.

My point being that you still have the raised roof, a little different than putting an ACC Amblewagon back to a regular station wagon. My guess is that back in the day, most people would have rejected a raised-roof wagon. But, perhaps I am incorrect.

They were sold through Chrysler dealers, and most were probably sold in more rural areas. When pulled out of service, they were probably sold locally at a municipal auction or by sealed bid. Most rural/small town Chrysler dealers probably never utilized dealer auctions back in those days anyway.

Distributor for the Briarean line:

For those in Eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware...

Attachments

• Briarean.JPG
    Briarean.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 57
Back