passenger side roof, 1962 M+M

hi there! first time poster,
i have a 1962 m+m that needs almost the entire passenger side roof replaced, from the edge of the window that touches the back door all the way to the front pass. door and everything in between. im also in need of doors, so anything from that to an entire rusty 1959-1962 m+m caddilac donor is what im lookin for! the body is still straight, just need this roughly 1'x12'side section. it was a very complete car right before i got it, came from simi valley cali, was apparently ambulance #2 and id no.0217, on the road until 1978 then parked out of service. id love to get this roof fixed and get her back on the road!!!

here ya go!

Attachments

• 87956361_1565549146936450_5345671740057976832_n.jpg
    87956361_1565549146936450_5345671740057976832_n.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 330
  • 20205167625-22 (1).jpg
    20205167625-22 (1).jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 270
  • thumbnail (15).jpg
    thumbnail (15).jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 267
You might want to check with Carl at C-W Coach in Cincinnati, OH on the doors. You WILL find that roof, as there are rot-boxes out there with good roofs. Thanks for saving it!!

You are going to need the complete roof, cut off at the bottom of the window pillars. Replacing that roof in its entirety is the only way to do this repair, and I would figure between $5000 - $10000 in labor and paint to do all that work. In the end, you would be better off buying another 1962 and use this one as a parts car. I used to do wreck restoration, and I wouldn't have touched this one even when it was a few years old, not 58 years old.

I second Pauls motion that unit is just too far gone. I too am a wreck rebuilder for 60 years and I would not have rebuilt this Coach when it was new. Check back with folks here or keep your eyes open there are more deserving projects. Good Luck hope to see you with worthwhile project.

Trust us on this one. Were you cut the pillars would be up to you just find a good spot that is convenient to do it. I always liked to pick a screw hole in a place i could lay the square on so I knew it was the same cut on below the line one above the line. The tack each one to test fit things before welding it tight. Sorry i have no ida were you can find decent parts.

All of the pillars on both sides are bent, so you would have to straighten them first, before cutting. There in lies the problem, you have no original point of reference to know how much that they need to be straightened, and you will be against the wind in both directions. The pillars could be bent to the side, or to the side and front or rearward. I was in the shop many times, when we would do a roof replacement, and many times, we had to jack the roof in multiple directions to get the windshield to fit the opening. Then the doors were another problem. You have to have them fitting correctly, and it is clear, that the doors on the right side are beyond repair. You don't even have an idea if the cowl is pushed side ways, or rearward. The standard way of pulling a body for repair, is in the opposite direction of the way it was hit. You would need a good frame machine operator with a large Kansas Jack that knew what he was doing to do all the pulling that this car is going to need. I would say, that it would take at least 8 or 10 days of work to just get it close enough that you could then start replacing the top. Just give some thought to the costs involved..

Windshield...
Door glass.....
Paint.............
Rust Repair ??????
Bumper Chrome
Doors $???.?? times how many???
Frame machine time $7000 - 10,000

A solid car can easily cost $20,000 to do a driver quality restoration. This one I can see easily costing $40,000 and then it will still be a repaired wreck that might still have hidden or other issues.

Ed... This looks like a good challenge for you... :eek:

Now me of you find a good top saw it off at a point you can find on both cars the all you have to do is cut the both off in the same pattern remove the damaged one set the new on one. The side less damaged will be the closes and you will with luck have all 4 of the it will set on. Then its simply a matter of using the tape to cross measure the openings . You know your top is good all you will need to do is jack the bent pillars to match the top tack it. Cross check your openings. There is no need to remove any doors. Remove the bent top from the bad one. If your good side closes and your pillars cross check adjust the bad side as nessary.
If you have access to that large a puller. Just pull the whole thing and repair it. Now more work if you have the equptment.

1960 Miller meteor was posted on PCS Facebook June 4th. Taylors, SC. Maybe that would be a good parts car if you're ambitious enough. No such thing as beyond repair. Depends on how much time and money you want to sink into something. And it helps a lot of you have the knowledge and resources. May be more than it's worth but all that matters is that you're happy with it. I touch stuff most people would run far away from. Kudos to you for wanting to tackle it! Good luck! Hope this helps.

Back