The Passing of Fred McPeck

Joseph G Unrein

PCS Member
Fred McPeck, owner of McPeak Motor Coach in Denver Colorado. Born in 1927 passed away September 14, 2020. There was a Memorial service last Friday October 23. I just found out about this. I wish I could have attended the service for Fred
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/lakewood-co/frederick-mcpeck-9368826

My farther, owner of Ambulance Service Co. likely purchased over 200 vehicles over the years and I purchased my 1959 Superior Cadillac from him in 1978 when he took it in on trade. He was a member of PCS and he purchased my first year membership in the PCS. He was a honest business man and a real gentleman. My condolences to his wife Pat and his family.

So sad to learn of Mr. McPeck’s passing. After I acquired my 1973 Miller-Meteor Cadillac Volunteer 48” Ambulance back in 2008, and Fred became aware of that, he was kind enough to generously send me an 8x10 color print of a photo he had made of the vehicle — depicted in the lot of his dealership, McPeck Motor Coach Co., out in Denver, just prior to its delivery to Washington County Ambulance Service, the original owner. Fred was a real gentleman!

Attachments

• 1129023C-D2B9-46D2-A311-8329707107DC.jpeg
    1129023C-D2B9-46D2-A311-8329707107DC.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 128
It is always sad to learn of someone's passing, especially somebody of the old school, who will never be replaced.

My condolences to the family. Rest In Peace Fred!

I met Fred one time, circa 1990 in Denver. I worked as a NEMVO (non emergency vehicle operator), aka "cabbie", driving a Cabulance for Reed Ambulance in Denver. Even though I was a nationally registered EMT-A (now EMT-B), I wasn't 21 yet and was therefore restricted to non ambulance duties until I turned 21 in January.

We bought all our new units from McPeck's, including our cabs. They had outfitted our brand new cabs, 1990 Chevy Astrovans that they had outfitted with raised roofs and flip-out wheelchair ramps along with O2 holders. The wheelchair ramps were really slick, but they had to add latches a month or so after going into service because the bolt-to-floor bases had become loose due to their weight bolted to the floor of the heavy flip-out ramps. This retrofitting of the ramps took much of a day to complete, so I spent most my day there thumbing through magazines in their lobby, and soon became bored stiff. I wasn't allowed in their service bay while work was being done, so I asked if I could go out back to their fenced-in trade-ins lot, and Mr McPeck told me to feel free, "just don't break anything". There were some interesting vehicles back there, including an old camaflouge army ambulance, a lime yellow (not lime green) very early 70s Ford F150 modular ambulance that had recently been taken out of service in some remote never-heard-of mountain town, and my favorite, a spectacular blue & white 1974 Criterion that appeared to having been only sparingly used.

They were working on pre-delivery prep work on a brand new Cayelcraft Ford modular in the next bay, and it wasn't long before Mr. McPeck handed me the keys to my cabulance so I could "get out of their hair" since their work was done, and I was free to go back into service.

Except for the Denver General Hortons that I used to see all over the city and county of Denver on a daily basis since they were the primary 911 ambulances, both Reed and Ambulance Service Co. Inc. ran most of their OFLA (overflow) code 10 runs, almost exclusively in McPeck purchased Cayelcrafts.

I'm sorry to hear of his passing, my thoughts are with his friends, loved ones, and customers, and may he rest in peace.

Last edited:
Back