59 Dodge

Item location:
Neu-Ulm, Germany

$18,000 US dollars, and how much more to ship it stateside? Then when it arrives, you have the fun of finding out all that needs to be done to make it road worthy.

It is an interesting car, that is for sure. Having recent experience waking up a car that was sleeping for only eight years, I know that the new owner will spend some serious money. But, the uniqueness of this car might be worth the time, effort and money. Imagine driving into any show in this! You will surely turn some heads!

Item location:
Neu-Ulm, Germany

$18,000 US dollars, and how much more to ship it stateside? Then when it arrives, you have the fun of finding out all that needs to be done to make it road worthy.

Probably about the same as converting a hearse into a ambulance.:D

if I was going to think about buying another Hearse this one would peak my interest as it is all there. but no thanks I'll pass

Calls the question is it a Hemi? More than likely just a 318 could even be a six. Were it a Hemi a few mods and you could wake the dead at a red light. Very interesting coach could that be a 71 72 Cadillac next to it? Bumper ends look Cadillac except appear too long front to back.

Definitely would not be a hemi as no hemis were offered in 1959. I believe that the only hemis for 1959 would have been in the handful of Ghia Imperial limousines as they were just slightly modified 1957 Imperials.

The Glitzmobile

It is an interesting car, that is for sure. Having recent experience waking up a car that was sleeping for only eight years, I know that the new owner will spend some serious money.

I'm not a 'Mopar guy' but, it's definitely a V8. Could be a Red Ram 326/255 , a Ram Fire 361/295 or, to carry that weight, a 'D500' 383/320. Looks like a Coronet 2Dr Htp or 4dr "Lancer" stretched. My concern would not only be the stippled chrome but, since it has all Italian papers, now residing-in GMY, getting it to clear Customs and getting it back into the USA . One would hope they still have the title in the paperwork that reads '59 Dodge. Hate to have it stuck at the Port paying heavenly storage charges. Ocean freight for a 30' container isn't that bad but, transport -to the Port- can be dicey. Had a customer last year 'lose' a 1956 Corvette, the transport company dropped it off the truck, once it arrived in GMY. Thank God he handled his own transport. This is a case of another seller taking advantage of the current 'trend' for folks yearning to buy a Barn Car. Many people don't realize what a can of worms they are opening.
Def. not the PopeMobile but,a unique "Glitzmobile".

Repatriating an American branded car is not a problem for customs, provided that the proper paperwork is in order. Very few states issued titles in 1959, so a title wouldn't be necessary, just an old registration form. What holds cars up at customs, is 1967 or newer models that don't have all the appropriate "safety" features that were required of models sold in the US at that time. These are more commonly known as "grey market" cars. Even 1967 or newer cars that were originally built in the US to US EPA / DOT standards have no problems being repatriated unless they were converted to another countries standards, and the US built items have been removed in the process.

what state was not issuing a title in 59? not that I'm interested in giving money to a man in one country for a car for a car in another. it would be a vary different car to have it not worth that and shipping for me to have a none running car. I feel dumb buying one for 1000 bucks

Caution is the better part.....

Paul Steinberg;[I said:
841916277] Very few states issued titles in 1959, so a title wouldn't be necessary, just an old registration form. [/I]
Paul; I've been doing this for ions and, in fact, recently got one from Holland. MOST States had titles even before 1959. Never cleared Customs with just a registration (unless it was NY). My issue with this coach is the fact it involves "Italian papers" as per my thread. It would depend completely on how they were signed off, and how complete they were, as to whether it would clear (it might be the reason it's still sitting unregistered!). You wouldn't want to buy it and THEN find out you were trapped w/o all the paperwork needed (especially with port charges mounting daily). After all, it sounds like a 3rd party purchase who may vaporize after the close. The ad reads that it was stored 23 years, as seen, after being stored outside but, I questioned them and now they claim it was always stored inside. I think it's def. unique but, he needs to lower his barn car price.

Not sure as to why this is even being discussed here, given the asking price. It just needs to stay over there, where it was built. There is far more appreciation for that type of "coachwork" over there anyway.

another observation....

Not sure as to why this is even being discussed here, given the asking price. It just needs to stay over there, where it was built. There is far more appreciation for that type of "coachwork" over there anyway.

Kurt; Anytime you can buy a custom built Car from any Italian or English (German, Belgian etc) Coach House it is sought after by collector's in any country. Best example I can site is; one year I was at Pebble Beach Concours in the very early 90's and there was a little old man with a mid-50's Corvette re-designed by an Italian Coach Builder on the show field. The car was kind of ratty (far from perfect) but, had a lot of design eye-appeal (priced in the 50's). I was trying to buy back one of my old cars I owned from the late 70's, also on display, and I couldn't afford to make a run at both so, I passed. It eventually sold for well into six figures [way more then a similar Vette of the same year] for the guy who DID step-up that day. It might have been Terry from Pro Team or, it ended up with him on the arm. I'm sure my story is verifiable.

Custom bodied auto's from Scaglietti, Bertone, etc are very valuable just because they are custom. If somebody decided to go on this car they need to ask for (and pre-clear all the paperwork and title -if there is one....BEFORE payment). He doesn't really state WHICH coach builder it is but, if it was a 'famous' coach house - it would be valuable. I know this isn't your 'cup-of-tea' (nor mine, being a non-Mopar lover) but, it is worthy of our looking at it.
Given the cost of delivery, I'd like to see it priced a bit less but, that's my observation.

I would take a guess that its being discussed because its a professional car and we are the Professional Car Society. In no club literature or publication that I've ever read have I seen it stated that we only recognize American professional cars. If there's been a policy change that I'm not aware of we better alert our German chapter and British affiliate immediately.

What would we do without your sarcasm, Patrick?
I am sure that our European members could care less about the cost of importing this particular coach to the U.S.

My point is this:
Given the $18,900 asking price, no one that I know of who frequents this site(living in the U.S.) is going to buy it and spend another $3000 to have it imported to the U.S. anyway. Now when you prove me wrong, I will apologize and never torment you again.

My sarcasm as opposed to your useful and necessary posts that all boil down to "I don't like this car so no one else should either". Odd that someone who thanked the original post that brought this car to our attention is now annoyed that we're even talking about it.

Right off the top of my head, without checking the PCS membership directory, I can think of American members who have a European-spec Mercedes ambulance, a Rolls Royce hearse, a Daimler hearse, a Volkswagen hearse, and two Volvo hearses. And then there's myself and my German funeral trailer. I spent the Euro equivalent of $750 to purchase it, and the Euro equivalent of $3300 on shipping and importation fees. I then spent approximately $50,000 giving it a professional restoration. So you see, unlike the majority of our self-proclaimed experts, I do put my money where my mouth is.

You can save the apology. I won't be holding my breath waiting for it.

Patrick,
Yes, I was the first(of only 2 people, which is sad) to thank Dan Scully for listing this coach because I am probably one of the biggest fans of Mopars on this site! I currently own six 1959 thru 1969 Imperials. 1959 Dodges are beautiful cars, in my opinion. I greatly appreciate it and I ALWAYS(unlike you) thank members who go to the effort to post photos of cars listed for sale on eBay, Craig's List, and other sites. How do you know that I don't like this coach? There has been NO discussion about the coach itself. Only banter about the issues and costs involved in importing this coach to the U.S.

Yes, there are(obviously) many collectors who import cars to the U.S. regularly. I have exported several cars, and I know full well the cost of shipping over-seas. I also know full well the cost of a well-done, professional restoration first-hand. This coach is not being offered at $750. At $18,900, there is little or no chance of this coach ending up in the U.S.

Last edited:
................................ And then there's myself and my German funeral trailer. I spent the Euro equivalent of $750 to purchase it, and the Euro equivalent of $3300 on shipping and importation fees. I then spent approximately $50,000 giving it a professional restoration. So you see, unlike the majority of our self-proclaimed experts, I do put my money where my mouth is.

:wwpics:

Back