62 m-m fuel gauge

So my dash lights wouldn't work, I have now gotten them to work but now my fuel gauge doesnt.
If I pick up the dash pad it goes to empty when I put it down and screw it down it goes to full. I have checked and redone the ground on the tank. It worked before I took the pad off to work on the dash lights. My guess is it grounding out or I have somehow messed up the gauge. Any thoughts on where to look?

sound like your moving a wire when you put the pad back down. I'm not sure if they are wired independent on yours or not my guess is that there is a printed circuit board as the 58 had one. a number of ways that the you can lose contact there take the pad back off and wiggle things around see if you can find it. current has to go threw the gauge to get to the sending unit.

So I now how the opposite I have traced thw wires and have a good connection on both postive and negative it now reads on E and I filled up the tank just to make sure it was full. Does this mean sending unit possibly ?

check the ground at the tank and the gauge. If it worked before you opened the dash, then it should work now.

So my dash lights wouldn't work, I have now gotten them to work but now my fuel gauge doesnt.

From this line, you indicate that the fuel gauge worked before you worked on the car.

If I pick up the dash pad it goes to empty when I put it down and screw it down it goes to full. [/quote}

This tells me that the problem is in the dash, not at the tank.

I have checked and redone the ground on the tank. It worked before I took the pad off to work on the dash lights. My guess is it grounding out or I have somehow messed up the gauge. Any thoughts on where to look?

Keep looking under the dash pad till you find what is causing the problem. If you change the sender in the tank, you will not solve the problem. If you replace the gauge, there is a chance that it will work, but that is only because you have messed with the gauge, and the one you take out, is no better or worse than the one you put in. Finding electrical gremlins requires checking, checking, and more checking until you find the minute spot, where a wire is crimped, partially cut, grounding where it shouldn't, or not making a ground where it should. I am not going to tell you that it is going to be easy, but with persistence, you will find it. If not, just write down the mileage, and fill the tank every 150 miles of driving.

Back