1966 Cadillac Rims..HELP

Bill Carlin

PCS Life Member
Yesterday, a 1966 Cadillac Superior Hearse arrived and was placed into my garage. (Yes, my wife does know about this one). In the past, someone put street rod rims on the car, so I need new ones.

Can someone tell me if the commercial rims used in 1966 were the same or differnet than the standard cadillac rims? Does anyone have these sitting around?

all CC cars use the heavy rim. but until you locate them the standard caddy rim will go on the car. they were the backwards looking set.

Ed, I just looked at the pictures of the restoration you did on the 66 Combo. I thought mine looked good, just needs paint, until I saw yours. Oh, well, the 1948 Packard needs more attention...

Ed, I just looked at the pictures of the restoration you did on the 66 Combo. I thought mine looked good, just needs paint, until I saw yours. Oh, well, the 1948 Packard needs more attention...

you just can't beat new black and chrome. but man I was glad it wasn't mine

Rims

all CC cars use the heavy rim. but until you locate them the standard caddy rim will go on the car. they were the backwards looking set.

I have a set of 4 from a 74 CC. Should work? Only old cap I have is from a 69 it fits know problem. Offset might be different? Not a direct interchange but should work? Would need another stock rim to compare to .Thanks

Attachments

• DSC07839.jpg
    DSC07839.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC07838.jpg
    DSC07838.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC07836.jpg
    DSC07836.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 153
Bill I've been waiting for decent weather to make a junkyard run/day roundtrip as I already need to pull a couple parts for another PCS member. This Wednesday I'm headed there and will actually have another set of hands for first time. Between this '65 and '67 there should be a full CC wheel set.

dsc03681g.jpg

dsc03717f.jpg

If not, by month's end I'll return to another yard where this '65 and '68 are sitting. Positive they each have all of their wheels. I've already stripped many interior parts off '68 and it will be pillaged further.

dsc04778j.jpg

dsc07406s.jpg

As long as I know in advance, I can plan accordingly.

the 66 still has the revised centers. were the bolt patter would be the same the off set or shape of the drum something about them is different. I'm guessing this was the last year for this style wheel. know that the 68 has what we would call a normal looking wheel on it.

Attachments

• IMG_1807a whol nest of spiders hatched out.jpg
    IMG_1807a whol nest of spiders hatched out.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 119
Here is the car in it's better days and the way it looks today. This car spent most of it's working life in Minnesota, just a few miles from me. Tony Karsnia purchased it from the Ertl Funeral Home. After Tony sold it, if fell into "the wrong" hands. The origional wheels were replaced with the rims and it was painted for a haunted house. Fellow PCS member, Don Lagerstrom purchased the car from E bay a couple of years ago. He stated to do a clean up on the car, however, he decided to sell it. And that leads to me. The car is actually in fantastic condition for a 45 year old hearse. Less than 50,000 miles on it. No dents and little rust. I took it to my mechanic yesterday and they put it on a hoist. My heart sank. As good as the top surface is, the frame is almost rusted through. My easy restoration has turned into an expensive problem. With three other cars in the restoration process now, the 1966 will wait a bit!

Attachments

• 1966 cadillac.jpg
    1966 cadillac.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 66 now.jpg
    66 now.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 81
Look to one of the salvage yards in Arizona to purchase a replacement frame. It will be a lot less expensive than trying to fix the original one, and probably going to be a lot less work in the end. This will give you the opportunity to make this into a first class restoration, since there will be no body on the replacement frame, and you will be able to fully detail the frame, engine, transmission, suspension. Then when you put the body on, the car will look like new. Rusted frames are a result of the vehicle sitting in one place for long periods of time.

Has anyone here (Ed) actually taken the body of a hearse off one frame and put it on another? I am concerned about body movement and doors never hanging correct again. Anyone with info or opinions?

Last edited:
'66 Cadillac Rims

I have a set of 4 '66 Cadillac Superior rims that I would be willing to sell, if still looking.
Kurt

Yesterday, a 1966 Cadillac Superior Hearse arrived and was placed into my garage. (Yes, my wife does know about this one). In the past, someone put street rod rims on the car, so I need new ones.

Can someone tell me if the commercial rims used in 1966 were the same or differnet than the standard cadillac rims? Does anyone have these sitting around?

Has anyone here (Ed) actually taken the body of a hearse off one frame and put it on another? I am concerned about body movement and doors never hanging correct again. Anyone with info or opinions?

I know that Dan Herrick has done this with a couple 77 M-M combos. You may want to check with him on his results. I dove one of hose M-M's in Albany and it seemed to ride and drive pretty good afterwards. This car is currently owned by Bill Marcy.

If another member has a set already laying around, buy 'em!

After checking out some in yard yesterday, I'm really not into retrieving these. My cost is $50/each. Even if they were free my time wouldn't be compensated enough for hassle involved.

'67 has two CC front wheels remaining:

dsc08197k.jpg

dsc08198d.jpg

'65 has two CC rear wheels and one front that is not correct:

dsc08199i.jpg

dsc08200f.jpg

dsc08201z.jpg

that is what I'm findig also. the scrap price is up high enoug that if they don't junk it it's got to be gold. asked a man yesterday about some CC wheels and he said he had them would let them go for 50 bucks each.

as far as swapping bodies, it can be done. remember the body only rides on about 6 rubber pads to begin with. so in theory if you put the mounts on the same plain as the the other frame the body would go on and everything would work well. swapping one frame for the other in the same year should present no problems. going to a different frame is always a hassle as the radiator support is never a fit usually you end up with the body jacked way up to level it. I never saw any reason to ever swap one. just because you wanted to work like a dog and end up with the same thing you had. rusted out frame and a good body I have never seen. bad damaged yes but that's what they make frame straighteners for. pull a frame you end up better then it was to start out with. if the shop is anygood.

Back