• Palo Alto Ambulance at an 11-80.(2)jpg.jpg
    Palo Alto Ambulance at an 11-80.(2)jpg.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 2,291
San Jose Ambulance (CA)

Attachments

• (1)+Kiefer1.jpg
    (1)+Kiefer1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,734
San Jose Ambulance crew training new EMT's.

Attachments

• Randy&Geiger[1].jpg
    Randy&Geiger[1].jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,725
Last edited:
Silva's Ambulance, San Bruno, CA

Attachments

• 1970sLoadandGoSIlvas.jpg
    1970sLoadandGoSIlvas.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,613
San Jose Ambulance crew wearing their red jackets and "whites".

Attachments

• SJA212[1].jpg
    SJA212[1].jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,546
San Jose Ambulance paramedic treating patient in a Miller-Meteor Criterion. Notice the distinctive candy cane stripe pattern sheets on the gurney.

Attachments

• Gary Skalko San Jose Ambulance.jpg
    Gary Skalko San Jose Ambulance.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,731
Last edited:
Palo Alto (CA) Ambulance crew on scene at a major injury vehicle crash.

Attachments

• Palo Alto Ambulance at an 11-80.jpg
    Palo Alto Ambulance at an 11-80.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,678
Somewhere in Southern California a funeral home ambulance arrives on scene.

Attachments

• Miller_Mercury[1].jpg
    Miller_Mercury[1].jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2,595
Robert........... I took the liberty of enlarging your newspaper clipping... Which one of the people in the picture are you???

Attachments

• leg.jpg
    leg.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,438
Ottawa Ambulance Service 1979

Thanks for enlarging and posting it, I was the ambulance officer lifting the patient at the head and was all of 19 at the time. You can see the Thomas Splint on his left leg. At that time it was classic triangular bandages for the harness, spanish windlass, and the two different types of special slings for thigh and tib/fib. Had't changed since WW1.

Today, most wouldn't know how to use the "universal" triangular bandage as it was most commonly used 50 years ago. I remember having to learn how to tie a triangular head bandage, and if the instructor was able to lift it off the head of the patient, you got to learn it all over again. I learned to be a master of the triangular bandage. However, not having to use this knowledge in a very long time, I doubt that I remember much of what I learned 50 years ago...
Paul

They don't cover use of the triangle bandages much more than as cravats to secure splints today, and as a sling. Years ago, you were only limited by your imagination. How about roller bandages in a spica pattern, or twisting it as it was applied to deal with contours. That's a bit of a lost art too.

Did anyone else ever carry a small plastic tube in their scissors holster to blow up an air splint? I never wanted to use the one that was attached to the splint, you never knew who may have used it the last time. We liked the translucent green air splints from Simulaids as they were more flexible in our Minnesota winters. The clear ones from Jobst were pretty worthless.

Wichita, KS

This picture was scanned from a welcome packet that was given to patients at Wesley Medical Center as they were admitted. The cars shown are:

1963 Crown Royale Landaulet ambulance - Gold Cross A.S.
1965 Consort - Metropolitan A.S.
1965 Rescuer - Gold Cross

Each of these cars had a Strat-O-Ray beacon. The one on the '63 was flanked by four Do-Ray lollipops.

The whistle on the Pontiac is a Sireno Jetstream. It, like the Mars Commander, was offered for a time as (weak) competition to the Q.

Attachments

• Wesley ER scene_001.jpg
    Wesley ER scene_001.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 695
San Francisco Department of Public Health Emergency Ambulance.

Attachments

• SF DPH Ambulance.pdf
    801.5 KB · Views: 370
Triangulars made easy

Found this triangular bandage in with some old first aid supplies at an antique store a few years ago. From St. John Ambulance.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 669
Here's yours truly "in action"...

...at the old Tulsa International Raceway, which is now the Tulsa Raceway Park:

http://tulsaracewaypark.com/index.htm

These photos were taken at an NHRA event in the summer of way back when...and yes, I had much more hair (as well as a beard) back then! The hood I'm sitting on belongs to a '76 Superior, originally a California car that I picked up from Bob Dietz. I had planned to put a Q2B between the speakers; however, Pat (Central) ended up buying the car instead of selling me one of his old sirens! This is the only car he bought used and put in service that didn't get painted white over red.

One of the advantages of this job was that I got to work all kinds of standby assignments in addition to the usual street duties. These included drag*, roundy-round, and motorcycle races as well as football games, concerts*, and rodeos*.

Good times, great memories...

*my favorites

Attachments

• TIR_001.jpg
    TIR_001.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 521
  • TIR_002.jpg
    TIR_002.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 511
  • TIR_003.jpg
    TIR_003.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 510