LED Bulbs: What a difference

Kevin Lynch

PCS Member
I bought 10 of these 1156 bulbs to replace the bulbs that are original to the Superior bullet lights. Take a look at the difference! $15 on eBay.

Attachments

• 47A1B750-2AB0-440E-BF9A-703592E57D33.jpg
    47A1B750-2AB0-440E-BF9A-703592E57D33.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 146
I'll bet these look good, and with the lenses on you probably can't even tell they're LEDs. I've noticed that the Superior bullet lights never looked very bright (at least on tv, I don't recall ever seeing a Superior ambulance with bullets lit up in person). Unless it was night-time, or a really gloomy day, you couldn't really see if they were even illuminated with the old-style bulbs just because they were so dim, and I think the bullets dispersed the light somehow making them not nearly as bright as simple tunnel lenses.

I am guessing that Superior sourced their bullet lenses from 59 Cadillacs from their local Cadillac dealer's parts department.

If you do this you want to get the warm white leds. Anything else will look purple when you put the red lens over it. The 1156 is not the right bulb for those lights either you need a higher wattage bulb. I had one left over from the 64 but can't find it now.

I'll bet these look good, and with the lenses on you probably can't even tell they're LEDs. I've noticed that the Superior bullet lights never looked very bright (at least on tv, I don't recall ever seeing a Superior ambulance with bullets lit up in person). Unless it was night-time, or a really gloomy day, you couldn't really see if they were even illuminated with the old-style bulbs just because they were so dim, and I think the bullets dispersed the light somehow making them not nearly as bright as simple tunnel lenses.

I am guessing that Superior sourced their bullet lenses from 59 Cadillacs from their local Cadillac dealer's parts department.

Those Superior bullet lenses came in different lengths over the years that they were used by the company. They were not tail light lenses from a '59 Caddy. Those were a much smaller diameter.

Back