Not Pro-Car but explain this roofline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this to be very interesting and never saw a roofline on a car line this.

Richard

60.jpg

If my memory is correct, that's a removable hardtop for a convertible and called a "Carson top". That picture's about 16 years older than me, so don't quote me on that... :D

AB

may be maybe not. has to be a aftermarket one. the removable hard top answer is a good as I can come up with. it is not a factory option on it looks like a 61-62 Chevy. but those dealers did a lot of stuff back then. best guess is it's on a convertible. that would make since. definitely not a common sight that's for sure

That is a molded fiberglass hard top that goes on the convertible. They were made in Kansas City MO... I know, because I have one for my 1964 Chevy Spyder convertible. You can tell that it is a convertible by the smaller rear quarter window. They do look sharp, however, they didn't like to have a snow load on them. Mine was "oil canned" on the top when I got it.

more on top

That is a 61 Chevy. It sure gives a different look to the car. The name Carson seems to be generic for ANY removeable top on any car. Whether Carson really built it or not. But we get the idea. My 55 Buick Century convertible has a lift off top. Not something for the imfirm to try. It is a heavy item with all the framework and padding.
That picture is full of cars we would like to see in our garages now. Even the Ford wagon looks like a keeper.
Mike

what were u driving?

Paul, What were you driving when you took the picture of the car lot with the 61 Chevy? I am going to guess a Chrysler product. Little chrome toppers on the front fenders, and still a big hood ornament. The gnomes were a nice touch but give no clue. Ok, now the rest of you decide what he was driving. The first one to get it right gets to say 'I told you so'! Let us hope he remembers!!!!
Mike

Mike...... all that I can say is that 45 plus years ago, we all looked a lot better... :D Even our eyesight was better... :rolleyes:

I like that top, it's classy. It gives the Chevy a look like a GT Hawk, a T-Bird, or a Turnpike Cruiser. Now, all it needs is a pair of small T-Bird landau bars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back