lead work

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
who says no one uses lead anymore? we got to striping the hood on the 64 and discovered the ravages of time in the middle of it. were the web is glued in to the skin it has pin holed in 4 places. we don't want to put the kind of heat it world take to braze them in nor do we want to just wipe them with mud.

so it take the ice pick and push it threw the suspected spots. and any other black spot gets tested. I could only find the four. clean the paint off around the holes then push them down with the pointy object like a screw driver to open it up and dimple it in. then fill them with lead. small hole like these the soldering gun works good

Attachments

• IMG_2672.jpg
    IMG_2672.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_2673.jpg
    IMG_2673.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_2678.jpg
    IMG_2678.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_2679.jpg
    IMG_2679.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_2680.jpg
    IMG_2680.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 242
What's your plan for building up the back side?

I probably shouldn't say it in public, I was holding 8 actual sticks of 50/50 in my hand yesterday. It was a feeling of magnificence and power.

Hopefully the government drones didn't detect the lead exposed to open air.

50/50 is plumbers solder... 70/30 is body solder.

I learned to fill holes like that using a soldering iron that you put into an open flame to heat it. Spin it in the hole, and put the solder to it, and slowly draw the iron away, leaving a pimple of solder above the hole. File and it was done. If the hole was larger, use a double edged razor blade from the underneath as a backer, and solder the hole with solder and a torch. That was a 2 person job, one to hold the razor underneath, and one to solder everything together. Today, they braze, mig, or tig weld holes.

You in large the hole. Once you confirm the pinhole, just push a blint pointed object down in the center. Like a #2 Phillips screwdriver. Tnat will dimple the hole collapsing the thin metal till it is firm. They will fill easily that way. In this case the back side is un accesable. As it is in the web suport. But had the been were you could get to them a little converter and fish oil primer would be in order. But to cut access would only give you more problems.

I spent time mesmerized by a man who stretched a Corvair van 18" and widened it 6 before MIG machines came to market.

He soldered brass screen onto steel and filled with lead when necessary because of the hole size, and sprayed lead through the air to hang it where he desired. Most important he let a dummy try, fail and then took his torch and wood paddle and straightened the mess I made up unless I completely dumped it on the ground.

50/50 in 5# bars was for tinning, wheel weights were for filling. Diluted Muriatic with a few roofing nails was the flux for tinning and his bread pan with a hunk of wool carpet saturated with NoKarode held the wood paddles. Corwin was an artist in lead. He did it all in his driveway with the garden hose hooked up just in case.

Fish oil too is a wonderful thing, if only I could find a counter odorant to mix with it.

Back