Scott Oxygen Equipment

Kurt Arends

PCS Elected Director 2021-2024
I picked up 2 of these Scott oxygen regulators at CW Coach early this week. I have little or no equipment knowledge, other that what I have been able to learn from you folks. Can anyone tell me if these were used in ambulances, or strictly aircraft use? All references that I have been able to find on-line reference aircraft use.

Thanks

Attachments

• Scott Oxy 1.jpg
    Scott Oxy 1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Scott Oxy 2.jpg
    Scott Oxy 2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 90
I think aircraft, as there is no litre flow mechanism,you turn it on and its there.glad to see the turn on for the tank is attached by a chain if I had a dollar for every one of those I lost over the years well that's another story,thanks for the pictures.

Early Demand Valve

We had a scott like that with that style mask and hose. The button instead of being on the mask like most were, were instead on that little round metal disc doo dad between the mask and regulator. They were a bit awkward to use when compared to a normal demand valve.

The input side of that regulator has at least 1 if not 2 adapters on it.
I can't tell from the pic if the first connection entering the regulator is chromed or not.

Entirely possible the regulator is originally aircraft and somebody changed the input nipple. Look at the threads entering the body. If there is teflon tape there it sure ain't original.

I'd also tend to call it made up from aircraft surplus due to the HP hose leaving the tank regulator to the secondary regulator.

I'd also tend to call it made up from aircraft surplus due to the HP hose leaving the tank regulator to the secondary regulator.

Walter - please refer to the link I posted above. While similar to - and derived from aircraft pressure-breathing systems - this was a standard medical item sold by Scott in the 1950s and 1960s, aimed at the prehospital market. It was primarily a competitor to the H-H Inhalator from MSA.

Dammit, ya went and activated some dormant brain cells.

That case is the delux version with Leatherett artificial leather covering the pressboard standard case.

If it's still on line, there is a Utube conversion of a Kinnescope of an old RG&E (power company) promo for their free inhalator service to the general public.
The company bought 2 units after a lineman got zapped and kept one in their downtown office.

If somebody called for oxygen, 2 of their suits with Basic First Aid cards carried the unit down to a waiting car, tied a green pennant to the radio antenna and drove to where the oxygen was needed. They actually made about 20 runs a year, probably mostly Cardiac and drownings.

Now that you activated my brain, I gotta hunt up my NOS Scott case and see what it was built to hold.

Pressboard was a real popular material in the 50s, it had been developed in WW-2 for cases as a way to convert wood scrap into a useful material. Basicly wood and cornstalk fiber with a pigmented varnish binder rendering it a damn tough cardboard.

Just checked, my case is the economy version without the leatherette.

Now that I'm thinking cases, I need to go look to see what happened to my collection of uniform cases.

Back