'52 Superior Combo in S/W Minnesota

I had assumed a combo based on the dual spot lights. How can you tell it's not a combo Martyn?

I had assumed a combo based on the dual spot lights. How can you tell it's not a combo Martyn?

You're right Kurt, it has reversible rollers.. Interior pics provided by the seller -

woVJkFr.jpg

0zSeNPd.jpg

03G5mPO.jpg

e2KInYN.jpg

FRNmxeg.jpg

No. Superior would hinge the side doors however the buyer wanted them on end-loaders, combos, and ambulances.

No. The rear side doors on all Superior-Cadillacs of this era were C-pillar hinged "suicide" doors... Only their Pontiac models were built with the side doors hinged at the B-pillar. 1959 was the first year Superior offered B-pillar hinging on their Cadillac coaches.

:rolleyes:

This coach does look amazingly solid! Not seeing rust holes, as one would expect from a MN coach.

Did they even have an attendant seat back then? I can remember stories of the ambulance picking up the patient, and both driver and attendant getting into the front seat, leaving the patient in back unattended until they got to the hospital. Have to remember, back then it was horizontal transportation only, without any treatment once loaded into the ambulance. Treatment on scene was minimal to say the least. For the most part, the only ones that did any treatment at all were the first aid squads that ran dedicated ambulances.

Did they even have an attendant seat back then? I can remember stories of the ambulance picking up the patient, and both driver and attendant getting into the front seat, leaving the patient in back unattended until they got to the hospital. Have to remember, back then it was horizontal transportation only, without any treatment once loaded into the ambulance. Treatment on scene was minimal to say the least. For the most part, the only ones that did any treatment at all were the first aid squads that ran dedicated ambulances.

Yes, they did have free-standing attendant seats, which is why they are hard to find today. They were not hinged into the floor yet. They show up occasionally. I know of a FH in N/E Nebraska has one out in a garage, which is about to fall in on itself. The FD(4h generation) didn't even know what it was, but doesn't want to sell anything!

When I was in Lower Bucks County we had a local squad four Cadillac Superiors. The local FD was a member of the Squad but only drove. One day I was at a scene and the FD was there sitting in the Rig. I asked how come your in here? His reply "Pete everyone around here knows everyone I think it would be demoralizing for a resident to wake up and find me bending over them". Yeah attendants seats in a combo. bad idea.

Back